09

My eyes open, met by the blinding light of the morning sun

My eyes open, met by the blinding light of the morning sun. Something is draped across my stomach and when I look around the room, I realise that it's not mine. There's a flash of blonde hair in the corner of my eye, and I turn to the side to see Dawson's peaceful face, his eyes closed and his mouth turned up in a small smile.

The memories from last night come rushing back to me and I then realise that I'm cuddled up to Dawson's side, and his arm is around my waist. I gasp in shock and try to move away from him, but I find that I can't.

Dawson stirs, laying on his back before his eyes slowly open. He blinks a few times before his head turns to the side, facing me.

His lips twitch and he slowly lifts his arm, rubbing his eyes with the back of his palm."Sorry." He mumbles, before yawning. Slowly, he sits up, peeling the duvet away from his body. Because we were practically glued to each other the whole night, I could feel the sweat under my armpits and on my inner thighs and under my breasts.

Dawson's clothes stuck to me, and I huff before crawling out of bed, my eyes still on him.

"Good morning." I smile, yawning. The bottom of the shirt I'm wearing rides up, exposing my midriff. I can already feel his eyes on me, but I ignore it.

"Morning." Dawson answers, his voice rough. I gulp. Usually, his voice is deep, but right now, it's extra deep. "Would you like some breakfast?" He asks, getting out of bed. My eyes fall on his shoulders first. They were broad and slightly muscular. It was easy to tell that he has been spending a lot of time in the gym. Then, my eyes fell on his slightly bruised stomach. It was hard to tell when his bruises were more prominent, but his light abs looked hard and muscular. And then his v-line... It was sharp and deep. I gulp again.

"Alayna." He says, and I'm snapped out of my trance. Dawson was watching me check him out and I couldn't be more embarrassed. He cleared his throat, clearly uncomfortable, and I turned away from him.

"Sorry." I mumble. "Sorry, I shouldn't have done that." I add, closing my eyes in embarrassment.

"It's okay." He says, picking his shirt up and slipping it over his head. "My... bruises are better, aren't they?" He adds, and I nod my head.

"Yeah. They're healing well." I state before Dawson gestures to leave the room.

"Breakfast?" He asks, and I hesitate before nodding my head. I texted my parents last night that I was staying over at Leilana's house, which was quite unbelievable as I've never had a sleepover at her house. My parents barely know her, so they are obviously sceptical about the whole thing. However, I'll deal with any consequences that I'll have when I get home.

Dawson leads me out of his room and down the stairs, into the kitchen. I've only ever been inside his house once before this, so I'm not sure where everything is.

I ask for toast and then we're sitting on the dinner table, silently eating breakfast opposite each other.

I take a small bite of my toast, and this must be the most awkward moment of my entire life. When I clear my throat, Dawson looks up at me, his chews slowing down as he waits for me to speak.

"I'm sorry all of this is happening to you." I mumble, smiling lightly at him. Dawson freezes for a second before he shrugs his shoulders, acting unbothered by the whole situation. I know it hurt him to admit why all of this was happening to him yesterday, but he still did it. For me.

"It's alright. I can get through it." He insinuates, emphasising that it's just him that is going to get through it.

Why can't he understand that someone cares about him? Why doesn't he understand I'm sitting here, willing to help him, and he's pushing me away. I want the best for him. I'm aware that I don't know him as well as I'd like to, but it's in my nature to help someone in distress.

"You don't have to hold all that burden on your shoulders, Dawson." I tell him, and he sends me a tight smile, his lips in a tight line. "It's important to have someone to rely on." I told him.

"I've always kept to myself." He mumbles, and I nod my head, not knowing how to get him to open up to me. Not about his parents, but about himself. I want to know more about him and understand him and see why he is the way he is.

The little snippets I have in his life are not enough, and I'm a naturally curious person. I got it from my mother. Another trait I get from my mother is seeing the good in everyone. For me, the good far outweighs the bad and it keeps me intrigued. I love learning about people.

"Why's that?" I asked him, tilting my head to the side. Dawson clears his throat, shrugging his shoulders.

"I don't... like people." He says, and I realise that he couldn't be more the opposite of me. I love interacting with people I don't know and saying hi to random people when I'm walking past them or wishing my friends a good morning and night everyday.

I chuckle, shaking my head. Dawson looks up at me, his eyes wide and very, very blue. His lips twitch into a small smile and I can't help but smile back. "Is that why you don't want me to help you?" I tried to joke, but his smile falters and he's looking away from me again, taking a bite of his toast and a sip of the milk that was in the cup next to him. "Daw-" Before I could finish my sentence, our eyes widened when we heard the front door open.

The sound of Dawson's chair screeching back makes me wince when he's instantly on his feet and I'm hearing a deep male voice enter the room.