03

Dawson was stuck in my mind

Dawson was stuck in my mind. Every minute, I'm suddenly thinking about him. The bruise covering his body. The pained expression all over his face. His eyes. They're probably the bluest, oceanic eyes I've ever seen.

There was something about him... something I sensed in him that made me stay with him. I could have called an ambulance for him, but instead, I sat there and dealt with his bruises myself. It's crazy. I don't even know the boy.

Maybe it was because I have a tendency to help people, but I think it was more than that. I think I was truly drawn to him.

"Alayna? hal 'ant huna?" Are you here? I sat up on my bed just as my mum walked into my room, her hands on her hips. "What are you doing? We have guests downstairs."

Me and my whole family moved to England when I was eight, which means we've been here for ten years. I loved my life in Egypt. I had many friends, and many relatives that we left behind. Unlike most Egyptians, my family are amongst the 5% that aren't Muslim.

"Who? I don't really want to talk to anyone." I say, in Arabic.

"I don't care, Alayna. You've not been home after school, and they were asking for you. It's just your auntie and cousins."

"The Spanish cousins?" My father has Spanish descent and that's where my surname comes from. Camila. To be fair, I didn't really like my Spanish cousins. They're loud, obnoxious and extremely annoying. "Mama, you know I don't like them." I frown.

"I know, alhabiba. But, that doesn't mean you don't have to meet them. Remember, they're family." I groan, standing up. I stretch, my shirt riding up slightly. "Min fadlik, cover up. Put a hoodie on."

"Seriously, mama? I can wear what I want."

Mama grumbles, grabbing my green hoodie and throwing it at my chest. I catch it, sighing quietly before slipping it on.

"Come on, Alayna. Just keep them company while I make the tea. That's all."

"Okay, mama." I smile, walking out of my room with her.

However, as I walked down the stairs, my mind wandered back to him. I couldn't stop my mind from travelling back to Dawson. What is he doing? Is he okay? I have to remind myself that he- or his parents- had a problem with my heritage and skin colour, so I force myself to forget about him.

Of course, I still want to help him. Because of the bruises, I know that this isn't the first time that something like this has happened. And... I'll do anything to protect him from getting hurt again. I don't know why... a part of me doesn't want to see him in pain.

***

Even at college, my mind wanders back to him. It's all him. All my thoughts are him. It's weird, being completely infatuated by someone when you've had one conversation with him.