Little Brother

As Lan Xichen watches over the sleeping pair, he wonders, "How did things get this far?"

Always cold and stoic, Lan Zhan scared most people. People kept their distance from him. But not Wei Wuxian; he was different. Wei Wuxian would not be intimidated, and he seemed fearless. Because of that, he felt he would be suitable for Lan Zhan. He wanted him to make some friends since he had none. Nor did he seem like he wanted any. Lan Xichen always assumed that Lan Zhan tolerated Wei Wuxian for his sake. He laughed bitterly. "I knew nothing. I thought I understood people well".

"When did things change, Wangji? When did Wei Wuxian become so important to you? So important you were ready to die for him? It's almost as if you're in love with him."

Then the revelation hits him, and suddenly, it makes more sense to him now.

"Is that what happened? Oh, Wangji, Wangji", Lan Xichen sighs heavily.

"Did Wei Wuxian even know how you felt or realize how far you would go to protect him? Would he even appreciate it?"

Wei Wuxian was like an unstoppable whirlwind. He was always seeking Lan Zhan's attention. Lan Xichen remembered how his little brother would become flustered and try to retreat away from Wei Wuxian, but that only made things worse as Wei Wuxian would try harder to get Lan Zhan's attention. Lan Xichen looks again at the sleeping Lan Zhan.

Lan Xichen had always assumed that his little brother was happy and content. He never thought Wanji would grow to love someone like Wei Wuxian. Now he realizes his brother was only a shell of a person until a whirlwind came into his life and woke up his heart and soul. Lan Zhan was very stubborn. If he believed in something, it would be with his whole heart, and he would most certainly defend what he believed in.

"Who knew Wangji, his wild ways would bring you to this?" I don't know whether to be angry or disappointed in you two. I only wanted you to be a happy little brother. I know you trusted and believed in him, but where is he now when you need him the most? Does he even care for you in return? Will he even accept you now that you are broken and will be in pain for the rest of your life?"

Typically, the discipline whip was reserved for severe punishments only. It was rarely used. One or two strokes were usually considered more than enough punishment, as the person would be incapacitated for several months. However, Lan Zhan received 33 strokes of the whip—one for each elder he had injured or killed protecting Wei Wuxian.

His back, shoulders, and arms have been ripped to shreds. He will be horribly scarred.

Lan Xichen asks, "Was it worth it, little brother?"

So many questions and no answers.

For now, he needs to focus on the sleeping pair before him. His only job and duty is to make sure these two survive and are as happy as possible. Lan Xichen must ensure that Lan Zhan's jingshi can accommodate them. He also made arrangements to help care for Lan Zhan and the child. Lan Zhan will need total care for quite a while. Thank goodness some clan members are still loyal to him and willing to help him.

The next thing to do is ask, No, tell his Uncle that he is bringing them home to the jingshi to heal and live the life they deserve. He will stand up to his Uncle like his brother did. He will never let his Uncle Qiren hurt his little brother again, and as for the child, he will stay and be raised by himself and Lan Zhan until he can do it on his own.

"I promise to protect and defend you both, little brother."