Safe Haven

It's been almost a year, and Lan Zhan's wounds will not heal or close. He is still bed-bound. It is problematic to both himself and his brother, Lan Xichen. Lan Xichen has sent messengers to other clans hoping to find a treatment or healer that can help.

Today is going to be another horrible day. Today, the healers come to redress Lan Zhan's wounds. He truly hates these days, but he says nothing. He knows it will feel as if the agony will never stop. It always wears him out, both mentally and physically.

The healers must first soak the bandages to remove them from his body. When the air hits his wounds, it feels like burning coals are placed there. It is pure, unadulterated pain and agony. Next, they must rinse the wounds to clean them from infection with water from the Cold Pond. The scars are freshly bleeding. After that, herbs mixed with a special ointment are applied. Then, the bandages are reapplied. Each application must be removed one at a time because the wounds cannot be free of dressings for too long. Each time a dressing is removed, and the air hits the open wound, it feels like burning coals are placed in the open wounds. The water from the Cold Ponds feels like ice shards stabbing him. His breath leaves him every time a dressing is removed. How can a human endure this kind of pain and not want to die? It feels like another kind of torture his Uncle has ordered.

During this process, Lan Zhan clenched his teeth and fists, willing himself not to cry out. He tries to think of Wei Ying to help distract him from this torture, but he cannot. Finally, blessedly, he passes out.

Only once was Lan Xichen present during the dressing changes. Even though he knew he should be there for his little brother, he could not. He never thought a human being could survive such a thing as this, and honestly, he couldn't bear it. Lan Zhan didn't fault him. Other than the healers who had to witness it, he didn't want witnesses to his pain and suffering.

Lan Zhan slowly opens his eyes and looks around. Sitting in a field of blue flowers, he hears a stream nearby. He thinks, "Did I finally die? Am I in heaven?" Then he hears a tinkling laugh. "Ah, you're finally awake," says Wei Ying, kissing Lan Zhan's nose and cheeks.

Lan Zhan gently pulls away to see if this is Wei Ying truly. His breath catches in his throat. Looking back at him, Wei Ying's sparkling silver eyes, soft pink lips, and the lotus flower scent fill his nose. Lan Zhan's heart is racing; his brain is telling him this is not real. His heart is saying it's his beloved. Again, Lan Zhan reached out and was surprised he could feel him. Once he overcame his shock and heard the giggles again, he grabbed Wei Ying and crashed their lips together.

"I can see and touch you !! How is this possible?" says Lan Zhan. Stroking Lan Zhan's face, "Yes, my love," giggled Wei Ying. "When your need for me was the strongest, then my ability to come to you was also the strongest,"

"I'm not dreaming. You are here, and I'm here?" Where is here?" says Lan Zhan, looking around again at the beautiful scenery. Before Lan Zhan could ask any more questions, Wei Ying placed a finger over his lips and said, "Shhh." Wei Ying smiled and then kissed Lan Zhan. Then Wei Ying says, " I will answer what I can, but first, may I?" Lan Zhan moves over slightly to give Wei Ying space to sit, and Wei Ying laughs and places himself on Lan Zhan's lap. He squirms a little to get himself more comfortable but also has a massive grin. Lan Zhan was sweating, and his heart was racing. If Wei Ying doesn't stop and speak soon, he will find himself in a different position.

Wei Ying places his hands on either side of Lan Zhan's face. "I've made a place for us to be together until I can fully break free. It's a place where we can hide and be together. Lan Zhan nods carefully and says, "Then whatever or whoever is holding you cannot find you here?" "I cannot feel anything but you, my love." He turned around in Lan Zhan's lap to face him fully. He then lifts his hand to stroke Lan Zhan's face. While staring into Wei Ying's eyes, Lan Zhan turned his head slightly and kissed the inside of Wei Ying's palm slowly and sensually, causing Wei Ying to shiver. Wei Ying closes his eyes and sighs. "I could very definitely get used to this."

Lan Zhan then lifts Wei Ying's face to his and huskily says ''Let me give you other things to get used to." He slowly and profoundly kisses his reason for being, pouring all his feelings and letting his love know how much he is missed. Through his kisses, Lan Zhan shows his beloved how much he is loved and will be loved for eternity. Wei Ying is beyond emotional, feeling everything Lan Zhan is showing him. He responds in kind, showing his love for Lan Zhan and telling him he will fight for this kind of love. A love he had never expected or felt he deserved. But it is a love he cannot live without.

Without him knowing, he was slowly being laid on his back, and Lan Zhan stopped kissing him only long enough to ask Wei Ying his permission with his eyes. Gold eyes and silver eyes were frozen and mesmerized with each other. Wei Ying smiles gently and nods his head. He reaches for Lan Zhan to pull him into his embrace. He wants nothing more than to be touched and smell the Sandalwood scent that always feels like home. He wants to love and be loved into eternity by this man above him. Lan Zhan will never need his permission to love him. Lan Zhan takes a moment longer to look at the beauty lying underneath him and knows this is his heaven on earth. The person he will live and die for, the person he will never stop loving and needing.

Lan Zhan couldn't wait any longer to make love with his Wei Ying. He took Wei Ying into his arms and loved him repeatedly. It was magical, sweet, and sensual all at once. Once they started, they couldn't get enough of each other. Finally, exhaustion overtook them, and they fell asleep in each other's arms; suddenly, Lan Zhan felt a pull that he must go away, back to the pain and torture. He gently wakes Wei Ying, "I have to go back." He holds Wei Ying tightly, and with tears in his eyes, he kisses his love. Shedding tears, Wei Ying also says, "I will be here when you need me, my love. This is our safe place, our heaven. We will see each other again, I promise." He kisses Lan Zhan and then watches him fade away.

Lan Zhan wakes up and discovers he is back in his room. How is that possible? "Did he just make love with Wei Ying?" Was he really with him in that haven? Why did he have to leave him there alone?"

The healers are speaking to him, but he isn't listening. He is so confused and heartbroken right now. Nothing feels right anymore. Again, the healers try to speak to him, but they give up and talk to Lan Xichen instead.

"Your brother stopped groaning in pain; he acted like he didn't feel anything at all. We know he passed out, but still, the body reacts to pain; he did not." said the healer, clearly confused. After the healer left, Lan Xichen approached his brother and said, "Didi, are you alright? The healers told me you didn't clench your fist or cry out this time. They said you acted like you weren't in pain." Lan Zhan didn't know what to say. He thought, "Could it be I was with Wei Ying in a safe place, and being there took away the pain?" He was thinking of him before he found himself there with him. Lan Zhan is so confused; he badly wants it to be accurate and not something his mind has made up. "Please, universe, please let it be real." He closes his eyes and decides he will be with his Wei Ying however he can, real or not. He needs to survive. He needs his Wei Ying like he needs air to breathe. He has made his choice.