Chapter Three

Austin's Point Of View:

I want to take her and run. I want to grab her wrist and run away with her.

Anastasia stares at me with wide, unbelieving eyes. I stare back. She backs up slowly towards the wooden railing that surrounds the deck, her eyes never leaving mine.

"You....you died...." her voice breaks twice and tears slide down her face.

She closes her eyes and turns away from me and, I take the chance and run.

I run away from her.

I run down the opposite way of where she's standing, hop over the railing and run down the beach.

I know it's wrong but, maybe she'll think it was an illusion. That, she was just seeing things.

I keep running toward my small hut, not caring about work or checking out or, getting fired. No. All I care about right now is getting away.

____________

I don't sleep at all that night. I keep seeing her, standing there under the stars, looking like wn angle.

All my memories of her come crashing back, the first time we met, the fair, the ball.....the first and only time we made love.

My heart squeezes together and I feel my eyes water. I start to cry.

I should have never left her. I shoulf have fought for her and now, she's engaged to him. I seen the huge ring on her finger. I noticed that the locket I gave her was gone.

I pick up a bottle of liquor I have by my bed, chug it down then, toss it against the wall. It burst into pieces, just like my heart has.

I get up out of bed and head out to the beach in nothing more than my shorts.

The wind whips past me as the sun is slowly rising and I wish with all my heart Anastasia was here to see this.

I sit down at the waters edge and let the cold waves splash against me.

I close my eyes and for the first time, I wish I really was dead.