Chapter 39

"Man, this is good coffee," said Eric after he took a sip. "I wish we knew about this place a long time ago."

"You should thank Angel," said Leo as he took his coffee cup from the counter after paying. "She suggested that we come to this place."

"Now that I think about it," Eric turned to look at Leo as they approached the door of the café, "didn’t her mum own a bakery before she died?"

It soon dawned on Leo like a revelation, and he turned to look at Eric. He remembered the look Angel gave him this morning when she directed Bill to this café. That must be it, he thought. "I should think so. But this can’t be it, can it?"

"Maybe we should ask her. It might have been a bakery and also served as a café."

Eric has two coffee cups in his hands, so Leo had to open the door. When they walk out, they find Angel standing outside the car, leaning on the rear. They had left her in the car when they had gone inside and were surprised to see her standing there. She had her back to them looking across the road. Leo and Eric stood there in silence, looking at her.

"What do you think she could be looking at?" Eric asked, breaking the silence.

"I think we already know the answer to that," Leo answered.

They approached the car and Eric went on even closer towards Angel. "Hey," he said, coming into her view. "Your mind seems to have wandered off. Are you okay?"

Angel turned to look at Eric. "Yeah, sorry," she said. "I was just looking at the shop across the street."

Eric looked over at Leo, who also looked back at him. They both shifted their eyes across the street and there stood a shop. Just by looking at its huge display window, they could tell it was once a bakery. But now, the lights inside were off, and the place looked deserted.

"That was mum’s bakery," Angel said as she went back to look at it. "But along with the house, the bank also took it away."

Eric gave Angel a sad smile. "Do you ever plan on getting it back?"

Angel scoffed. "To be honest, I was never really interested in baking like my mother was. Business was going well for a while until we started to go through some financial issues. I used to help out whenever I can before I found a job at the editing company to try to support us."

Angel now sniffed. Talking about it made her eyes start to water, but she fought back the tears as she passed her finger below her right eye. Leo couldn’t help but look. For some reason, he felt a weird feeling in his chest. What could it be, he wondered.

"We can talk about that later if you want," said Eric. "It won’t look good if you cry here in the street."

"Yes, you’re right," said Angel as she tried to pull herself together. She took a deep breath and put up a smile.

"Here, the coffee is amazing," Eric held up the cup for Angel.

"I know, it’s why I suggested we come here," Angel said with a laugh as she took it. "We used to serve coffee as well, but when this place opened, we tried it out. We couldn’t deny that they serve very good coffee. Better than ours, to be honest."

"Well, you were right to come here," said Leo. "Dad also complimented that their croissants are good too."

Angel smiled at him. "They serve great pastries, no doubt."

"We better get a move on," said Eric. "Traffic is already starting to build."

"If you haven’t noticed, Eric, there’s already traffic," said Leo as he opened the driver’s side of the car and went in.