Chapter 37

Leo took a deep breath and let it out after a second’s pause. You can do this, he told himself. No matter how uncomfortable he felt, he’s going to walk through the door in front of him and have lunch with Kim. He felt like leaving and telling Kim over the phone that he couldn’t make it. But it’s too late now. Kim must’ve seen him through the large glass windows and it would be embarrassing if he were to leave now.

He gathered his composure as he straightened his collar. He started to make his way towards the restaurant. Before he could get to the door, it flew open and two ladies walked out. Leo made way for them and he thought he saw one of them give him an eye as they passed. He ignored them and held the door open before it slang itself shut.

He is greeted by a waiter. "Good afternoon, sir," the man said. "Would you like to make a reservation?"

"Actually I'm here to have lunch with someone," Leo answered. "Kimberly Gates?"

"Oh, yes, she told me you were coming," said the young man. "Right this way, please."

The man led the way with Leo following behind him to the centre of the room. Leo saw Kim looking just like she did when he saw her this morning in her white office dress and a cashmere pink jacket. He noticed that her long blonde hair fell in curls and she wore lovely gold studs with a matching gold neck chain. When she saw Leo, her eyes widened with excitement.

"Here you are, sir," said the young man with a bright smile on his face. "If you would like to order, please let us know."

"We will, thank you," said Kim as she smiled at the young man. Leo took his seat opposite Kim immediately the waiter left.

"Hi, again," she said as she put up a nervous smile. "I honestly didn’t think that you would come."

Leo had to pick his words carefully as he already felt irritated over the whole scenario. "It would seem rude if I didn’t," he said.

"Oh, not at all," said Kim as she shook her head and leaned back on her chair. "I would’ve understood if you were busy or something."

"I wasn’t so busy. And we’re meeting during lunch, so it’s not a big deal."

Kim continued to smile as she tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "So how is work going?"

"It’s going well. We have a pretty busy week."

Kim raised her hand to call out a waitress who was just behind Leo. "I would like a glass of water, please, before we order," she told the waitress.

"I would like one too," said Leo. He suddenly felt his throat run dry all of a sudden.

"How is your mum doing?" Kim asked as soon as the waitress left.

"She’s good. I thought you two are still in contact with each other."

"We are. It’s been a while since we last talked."

Leo raised his eyebrows in acknowledgement then took a brief look towards the wide glass window to the side. He already wishes for this lunch to be over.

"I saw you with Angel today," said Kim. "Were you two getting breakfast?"

"We went to buy croissants for dad," said Leo. He expected her to ask such a question. He remembers when Kim would sometimes ask about the women she would find him with, especially when she came over to his work place or when they went out for a social gathering. She still has that jealous trait of hers, he thought.

"Okay, so you two were going to the office together, then?" The waitress had finally come with the two glasses of water. Leo was grateful for it.

"Yes, she’ll be working with us starting today," Leo answered and he soon drank from his glass.