Chapter 53

The doorbell at the front door rang, and Angel just happened to be passing by, making her way to the living room. It was a quiet Saturday morning. Everyone in the household was either fast asleep or silently in their rooms doing something. Angel happened to be up and about despite coming back so late last night.

She made her way to the door and asked who it was. What she got in response was an unexpected surprise.

"It's Zac McAlister," came the voice behind the door.

Angel opened it, and there in front of her stood Zac in a navy blue shirt and white cargo pants. His platinum blonde hair shone so brightly in the morning sun. With his perfect model-like face, Angel couldn't resist looking at him.

"Zac, uh..." Angel was a little lost for words. His unexpected presence stunned her somehow. "Good morning. What brings you here so early?"

Zac gave her a smile, showing his dashing white teeth. "Good morning. I'm guessing Amanda didn't tell you, then."

"Tell me what?" Angel looked a little confused.

"Well, it's about the bingo game that's happening today."

"Oh." Angel's eyes widened with shock. "No, she never told me anything. I thought she wasn't going to attend."

"Well, the old ladies agreed, and they said they needed a little help with organizing the event." Zac's dark eyebrows raised slightly as he spoke, making him look even more handsome. "My grandmother will be hosting it at our place again. It's a grand occasion, so she needed help and asked me to do it."

"Um, okay." Angel felt all this was going too fast for her so early in the morning. "Does that mean I have to help out too?"

Zac nervously smiled. "I'm afraid so. Amanda said you would, and she would inform you about it. I guess she forgot."

"It seems so. Moreover, yesterday was a busy night for me, and I got back home a little late. I found her already asleep."

"You don't have to bother. I can do it myself. It's not the first time. I bet you also made plans for the weekend, and I wouldn't like to intrude."

"No, it's okay. I might not have been informed about the game, but I'll help out. I was just going to sit at home all day, anyway."

"Great." Zac looked relieved. "The event is supposed to take place this afternoon, which is why I came by early to pick you up and get things started on time."

"Sure. Please, come in. Sorry for making you stand out here for so long."

Angel stood aside as Zac made his way inside. She closed the door behind him.

"No worries," he said. "You weren't aware of the program, so I can understand why it took you by surprise."

"Yeah, but I should be showing you some form of hospitality." Angel led the way to the living room. "You can wait right here." She turned to look at him. "Have you eaten?"

"Uh, no," Zac replied. "I was actually thinking you and I could go to a café and have breakfast together. If that's okay with you."

Angel didn't expect this, and she didn't know how to respond. "Well, I guess it's not such a bad idea. It will be nicer to be closer to town than to spend time here having breakfast. I'll go get my bag real quick and be right with you."

"Sure, I'll wait here."

Zac made himself comfortable on the couch, and Angel was about to make her way out of the living room when she saw Mrs. McDonell coming down the stairs in a white sleeping robe. She also wore matching white fluffy bed slippers on her feet, and she looked sleepy. She rubbed her eyes as she came down the stairs.