Chapter 48

After finishing their dessert, there was joyful laughter and conversation all around the table. Everyone was actively participating except for one person in particular, whose mind seemed elsewhere. Angel did all she could to keep track of what was being said, but failed to do so. A funny feeling came over her now and then that something bad was going to happen if Leo were to see Kim and Trina.

She smiled kindly at Mr. Cho, who addressed her, and never said as much as a simple “yes.” Now and then, she would try to look over her shoulder at Kim and Trina. However, every time she did, Eric would find her looking and would throw her a smile, thinking that she was looking at him. Pretending like nothing was going on, Angel would smile back and try her best to engage herself in the conversation.

It was now time to leave, as the dinner event had finally ended. Angel felt relieved. Maybe if they left early, Leo wouldn’t have to see Kim or Trina. Mr. Cho and Mr. McDonell stood up to mark the end of their dinner date as they shook hands. Angel slowly stood up from the table before anyone else, and it was then that she saw Kim and Trina through the corner of her eye. Rising from their table, the two women made their way to the ladies' room.

Trina and Kim entered the ladies’ room. They had noticed earlier that the McDonells had finished their dinner with the visitors, and Kim had told Trina that it was best to leave in case Leo looked across the room and noticed them.

“Gosh, that was scary,” said Trina as she went over to the sinks to look at her scared self in the mirror.

“Let’s hope that no one saw us,” said Kim, who still stood by the closed door.

“Angel obviously did. I feel she’ll tell Leo that we’re here.”

“I doubt it.” Kim shook her head. “If she has known Leo in the short time they’ve been staying together, she wouldn’t tell him. Leo can be a time bomb.”

“Yet, I don’t know why you love him.” Trina looked at Kim, shaking her head.

“It’s called unconditional love. Maybe what you have for Eric is nothing but infatuation.”

Trina threw a surprised look at Kim with her mouth wide open. Kim didn’t give her any attention as she entered one of the toilet stalls.

Meanwhile, at the table where the McDonells had had their dinner with the visitors, everyone had now stood. Angel wanted to go to the ladies’ room when Carly stopped her.

“Hey, if you want to go to the ladies', we can go together,” she said.

Oh, no, Angel thought to herself. If Carly goes with her, she will find Trina and Kim in there, and no doubt she will tell Leo about them.

“Ah..., no, I was thinking maybe I should take a look around the beautiful hotel while we’re here,” said Angel.

“Good idea, Angel,” said Eric. “Leo and I were thinking of staying here for a while and exploring." Eric threw Leo a look, and Leo brought up a small smile. Carly smiled inward, knowing what Leo meant in the message he sent her.

“I was just about to ask dad and the others to go home without us while we chill around here for a bit,” said Leo as he looked at his parents.

“Do you mind if I join you?” Marco asked. “We’re booked at this hotel, and I wouldn’t mind."

Leo, Eric, Angel, and Carly all looked at him coldly, not wanting him around at all. Marco read their looks, and it didn’t bother him one bit as he continued to smile at them.

“That will be great,” said Mr. McDonell. “That way, you can all get to know each other. We old folks will head off home.”

Oliver looked at his mother beside him and asked, “Can I stay with Leo and the others too?”