Betrayal

Writers Note: This chapter fought with me so hard, but I've been planning out the next chapter for so long. Nearly the entire thing is going to be in Ghost's POV because betrayal hits him different. Ok enjoy.        

The car ride back to Alejandro's base was long, a few hundred miles on boat, a few hundred miles back to base. A four-hour journey totals. In that time, all of us were silent, Alejandro drove up front with Soap, leaving Ghost and I in the back of the wagon. Rudy took up in one of the other vans with Jackie and Graves at the front of the convoy.

Ghost leaned up against the window with his eyes closed, panting as the ibuprofen began to where off and the pain in his shoulder returned. Soap kept turning around to look at his best friend with each labored breath that Ghost took. My concern for him increased as the rain outside continued to pour, he saw my face and chuckled under his breath, "s' all right, another scar to add."

"That doesn't make me feel any better," I said, scooting towards him, trying to catch a glance at the gauze pad that I had placed on him a few hours before. I could see crimson on the little bit sticking out from the collar of his shirt. He was bleeding still. "I need to change the wrap; it's still bleeding and can get infected."

I wasn't a medic by any means, but during the weeks of training in Washington D.C. I had filled my time with taking first aid classes. They were good practice and helpful for field dressings. Considering the work that these guys did, I was surprised that they didn't have a medic that went on missions with them. Maybe I could be the designated field medic, it would make me feel more useful. "I'm fine, Doc," he said letting his head fall back onto the headrest.

"You're not fine," I said, not giving him a second chance to shoo me away, scooting closer to him. There was nothing heating up the link between us, I was far too concerned about the bullet hole in his shoulder to feel any kind of twisting in my pelvis.

"Lieutenant, you should let her help you. Medical Sergeant Balmaceda is on leave tonight and will not be back until tomorrow," Alejandro said from the driver's seat, glancing back at the two of us. Ghost huffed. I was guessing that Maria was out on one of her girl's nights with the other females on base about which she had talked. She deserved it after everything my dumb ass had put her through and tearing up her dress.

Ghost's eyes swung at me, and I could see he was in pain, but he was also something else. Not scared, but nervous. I would not have clocked Ghost for being scared of pain, but he looked at me and then back at roof of the car. "Just be quick," he commanded.

I lightly touched where the collar of his shirt met the skin of his neck and I felt him wince. Man, he must really be in pain if he is wincing at just that slightest touch. Pulling on the collar of his shirt slowly, he groaned. When I could finally see the gauze and wound, it was clear that he was still bleeding badly. There was blood dripping from the gauze pad, turning the entire thing a bright red color. "Shit, it's still bleeding pretty bad, why didn't you say something?"

He said nothing, only closed his eyes and breathed heavily through the pain. "Senora, there is a medical kit under the back seat," Alejandro stated. I moved immediately, bending down and feeling around for the black bag that had a white cross on the outside. There had to be enough medical supplies here to last years. But as I turned back to Ghost, I saw him wavering, the blood loss beginning to take its toll on him.

"Fuck," I said, he blinked at me. "Ghost stay with me," I commanded of him as he blinked at me again, seeming to not be able to see me.

"Hurry up," he whispered as his head fell forward. I pulled open his collar again, but the damn thing was getting in the way far too much. It kept covering the wound anytime I tried to pry the gauze off him without ripping his skin off with it.