Voices in The Air

The music relates to a scene waaaay down the end of the chapter.

~~~~~~~~

They stared at each other for a moment; moonlight streaming through the window, illuminating the whites of their eyes until Briar's hands flew to her move and she stepped back, looking to the window, then to Kilan again before stumbling back.

"Edward!" she cried, running to the closest mirror, "Edward, where are you!?"

"What's the matter?" Edward asked, appearing in the mirror, panicked as the Stephanie and Charles rushed into the room.

They all stopped when they saw Kilan, then their eyes widened as a strong breeze sped through the window, flaring their hair and clothes out around them, their hands throwing up to shield their eyes.

"She's coming!" Briar gasped, "Hide him! He has to go!"

"Where? She checks everything!" Charles cut in.

"The stairs," Edward said, pointing to the dark archway, "Go down the stairs."

"Why haven't you disappeared?" Briar asked as she and Kilan sped across the room.

"I don't know. I was knocked out earlier; perhaps that's keeping me here. Perhaps its Mother's doing?"

He stepped onto the first step, Stephanie said something and Briar all but hurled him down the stairs before spinning away, covering what she could with her skirts.

"Welcome back, Ma'am," Stephanie said as Kilan steadied himself and flattened back against the wall.

"Yes, good evening," came the cool dismissive reply and Briar swept away from the stairs.

"Hello, Mother," she said and Kilan - against his better judgement - peered around the corner.

He grimaced. It was Mother. She looked much the same as she had the other two times they had met, swinging off her velvet cape and dropping it in Stephanie's arms, smoothing her hair before turning to Briar and holding her arms out.

Briar stepped forwards and hugged her, then Mother held her at arms length to look.

"Just as perfect as ever," she said before turning away, taking the seat Briar usually had. "Tea, Stephanie. Edward, Charles, you may leave."

The three servants bowed and exited and Mother turned to Briar.

"Was your guest here today?" she asked.

Kilan saw Briar's shoulders tightened as she slowly walked to another seat and sat down on the edge.

"He was," she said, her voice surprisingly calm despite her shoulders.

"Was he well?"

"I believe so. Why?"

"I had to teach a child a lesson today. All he needed was a bit of a scare but your friend - seems he has a touch of hero about him - jumped in and saved him. He was caught in the middle of it so I was wondering after his health."

"He seemed no worse for wear," Briar said.

"Good, I do not dislike the boy and I know you are fond of him, I shouldn't want harm to come to him. So, what were you discussing today?"

"Nothing in particular."

"Oh indeed? And what did nothing entail?" Mother asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We were just talking about him, his past, family, things like that," Briar said.

"Ah, yes, the poor boy. The fall of the House of Denny was a tragedy."