Chapter 30

Four days later

"Harry pass me a nappy," Louis calls over their daughter's screaming.

Harry does, handing him baby wipes along with it. Louis quickly finishes changing Morgan, buttoning up her little onesie with some difficulty because she keeps squirming and crying. 

"I know, darling," Louis says softly, picking her up from the changing table. "I know you're upset, but we've changed your nappy now, so there's no reason for you to cry."

"I don't know what's wrong anymore," Harry says tiredly. "We've tried everything."

"Maybe she's hungry?" Louis asks, bouncing the baby gently in his arms to get her to calm down. 

"I just tried to feed her, like ten minutes ago," Harry protests.

"Well, try again," Louis tells him, handing Morgan over to his husband. 

Harry stares down at the baby helplessly as she continues to wail, cries piercing through their room. He lifts up his shirt and tries to get her to latch onto his chest but she turns her head away from him, screaming louder. 

"She doesn't want it," Harry says, almost crying himself. 

Louis runs his hands through his hair, feeling himself get frustrated. They've barely gotten two hours of sleep at a time since they brought Morgan home. "Maybe a bottle?" he suggests. 

"Louis, it won't work," Harry whimpers. "Why would she take a bottle instead of just breastfeeding?"

"I don't know Harry!" Louis exclaims, throwing his arms up in frustration. "But at this point, that's all I can think of to do!"

A tear slips down Harry's cheek as he cradles their screaming baby. "I'm supposed to be able to calm her down," he mumbles to himself. "Why won't she just calm down?"

Louis opens his mouth to respond but at that moment, the door to their bedroom opens. He turns and sees Darcy standing there, curls messy and looking sleepy. 

"Daddy? Papa?" she asks. 

"What's wrong Darcy?" Louis demands, maybe a little harsher than he intended. 

"Can't sleep," Darcy says softly. "Mo's too loud."

"I know, we're trying to get her to be quiet," Louis tells her. "Just go back to your room and try to sleep anyway."

"But Daddy-"

"Darcy, go to bed!" Louis snaps. 

Darcy flinches, staring up at him. Her wide blue eyes fill with tears and before Louis can do anything, suddenly she's crying too, albeit much softer than Morgan. 

"Lou..." Harry says quietly, looking at him with watery eyes. "She didn't do anything. You shouldn't have-"

"I know I shouldn't have yelled, Harry!" Louis shouts.

Harry flinches, more tears gathering in his eyes as he looks down at the screaming baby in his arms, and then the crying toddler in the doorway. Louis winces, knowing he's just made everything worse. He takes a few deep breaths, trying to calm down. 

"I'm sorry," he says, looking to Harry first. His husband is still crying quietly, trying to shush Morgan. "I'm sorry," Louis repeats. 

He goes over to Darcy then, kneeling down so he's eye level with the little girl. 

"I'm sorry Darcy," he says softly, reaching out to tilt her chin up so she meets his eyes. "I didn't mean to yell at you. The baby's just been crying a lot, so I'm a little frustrated and I took it out on you, but that wasn't right. Will you forgive me?"