Chapter 5. (Tumhara Bhai Hero jaisa hai Maryam)

Mahjabeen is naive but she is a great observer, listener and judge of character.

***

"Haya baji aap kaisi hain?" Mahjabeen asked on the call, she was nervous and felt extremely guilty for taking away her love. She was sure Haya would never call her after that day but she did.

"Mai acchi hu Maha, Murtasim ki honey waali dulhan kaisi hain?" She teased laughing, Mahjabeen felt joy as she heard her happy tone. Haya didn't held this against her, and she was glad that this marriage wouldn't destroy their friendship.

"Haya baji aapka dil bohot bada hai" , Mahjabeen said sighing, there was no response from the other side. There was an awkward silence for a moment, maybe Haya was offended by Mahjabeen's statement but couldn't react as she knew this wasn't what she meant.

Haya was heartbroken for days she went around like a zombie, it was painful. She was fine when he wasn't hers, because he belonged to no one. But she couldn't imagine him being with Mahjabeen.

"Murtasim ne haan kab kiya waise?" Haya asked curiously and Mahjabeen narrated her the entire overdeal that happened a few hours ago. She was exhausted and her nikkah was in two hours. Murtasim had asked her not to share the events of last night with anyone, when they arrived early morning Murtasim had made the excuse that she wanted to meet her parents before getting married. Maa Begum wasn't happy but she didn't make a scene as she saw Murtasim's reluctance to marry Mahjabeen has vanished. He seemed content with the decision and so did Mahjabeen.

"Matlab Murtasim ko tum par taras aagya", Haya concluded from the story, Mahjabeen frowned and shook her head.

"Nahi Murtasim ne kaha ki woh mujhe pasand karta hai", Mahjabeen denied she didn't like the word Haya used. Murtasim's sentence had made one of her dream come true, she wanted to marry a man who loved her. And yesterday it was almost a scene out of a movie, filmon ki tarah

"Maha mai Murtasim ko bachpan se jaanti hu, tum bhi socho chaar din mai kisko mohabbat hoti hai. Usko tum par taras aagya, meri jaan", She said in an empathetic tone, Mahjabeen felt her heartbreak she wanted to disconnect the call. But Haya's reasoning did made sense, how can a guy fall for her in just four days? He pitied her, her dreams crashed as she held in the tears from falling.

"Woh ye rishta mujhse hamdardi ki wajeh se jod rha?" Mahjabeen asked again wishing Haya could say no. Wishing she wouldn't tear down her confidence but her answer broke her.

"Maha maaf karna meri jaan, magar Murtasim Khan bohot bada aadmi hai aur tum abhi zyada se zyada uski dasvi fail biwi bansakti. Uske illawa tumhara koi makam ya koi pehchaan nahi", Haya said sweetly, Mahjabeen didn't detect the malice in her voice but her every word made her realise how unworthy she was of Murtasim.

" Mai kya karu Haya?" Mahjabeen asked exhausted both mentally and physically, it felt as if a haze has formed over her world. She could no longer differ what was the truth, the one she believed or the one Haya was telling her.

"Meri baat manogi? Murtasim ek padhi likhi biwi deserve karta hai. Maha apne nikkah ke baad school join kardo, mai tumhara form bharungi", Haya pleaded she did had bad intentions but not against Mahjabeen, but Maa Begum. She wanted to groom Mahjabeen into Maa Begum's worst nightmare, this would be her revenge.

Mahjabeen remembered Rohail's words, they were the same as Haya's. And maybe they were right, Murtasim pitied her and she didn't deserve him.

***

In a sprawling garden blooming with beautiful flowers, a melodious symphony danced around making the evening colourful. Fairylights and white flowers were incrinately woven into the pillars and the huge stage that shone. Women adorned in shiny jewelry, glittery shalwar kameez and silk sarees moved admist the crowd. Their laughter added to the melody of the music, the tinkling of their bangles and the delicate jingling of their anklets echoed through the air, leading to an ethereal scene.