Chapter 14 part 3 (Aap mujhse dur rahey)

A farmer woke up in the early morning, as he did every day. The first rays of sunlight were just beginning to paint the sky in hues of orange and pink. He had breakfast, and the farmer headed outside to begin his day's work. The air was crisp and cool, invigorating his senses. He walked across the fields, surveying the crops and animals with a discerning eye.

As the farmer continued his survey of the fields, his discerning eye caught sight of something out of place. His steps slowed as he approached the disturbing scene-a lifeless body lying motionless on the ground. Shock and a wave of unease washed over him, disrupting the tranquility of the morning.

Immediately, he recognized the need to take action. With a mix of concern and caution, he carefully approached the body, keeping a safe distance. He quickly assessed the situation, looking for any signs of life or immediate danger.

In the face of such a distressing situation, the farmer reached for his phone and dialed Murtasim's number. As the land owner, he knew Murtasim to be a reliable and level-headed person, someone he could turn to for guidance and support.

Murtasim picked up the call, sensing the urgency in the farmer's voice. Concerned, he listened attentively as the farmer explained the shocking discovery of the dead body on his land. Murtasim assured the farmer that he would be there to assist him in any way possible.

He picked up his shawl, the urgency evident in his movements as he hurriedly left his room. However, as he reached the doorway, his gaze fell upon Mahjabeen's peaceful sleeping figure. He couldn't bear the thought of leaving her alone in that vulnerable state. With a conflicted expression, he turned back and made his way to Maryam's room, seeking her assistance.

"Itni subha gao kyun jaarhey aap?" Maryam asked, her voice filled with drowsiness. Her eyes, half-closed, betrayed her grogginess, and she would have leaned against the door, succumbing to sleep, if Murtasim hadn't provided support.

"Yaar mere kamre mai jaakar sojao," he requested, his voice pleading. However, Maryam, undeterred by her sleepiness, continued her line of questioning.

"Magar kyun?"

Murtasim let out a heavy sigh, his gaze fixed upon his stubborn sister. Despite her groggy state, she remained persistent. With a calm demeanor, he explained, "Mahjabeen kamre mai akele hai, agar uski aankh khuli toh woh darr jayegi akeli."

Maryam chuckled softly, understanding the reasoning behind his request. She agreed to sleep beside Mahjabeen but laid out her own condition.

"Mera kambal aur takiya lekar aayega," she ordered, asserting her requirements before walking past him. Murtasim couldn't help but roll his eyes playfully, he complied with her request nonetheless. He anticipated finding her already asleep, but instead, he discovered her standing by the door, her gaze fixed upon the sofa, her face marked with anger.

"Kya hua?" Murtasim asked, concern lacing his voice as he approached her. She didn't respond with words but simply reached out and took the pillow and blanket from his hands.

"Mahjabeen ke saath bed pe kyun nahi soye?" she inquired, her tone carrying a mix of curiosity and concern. Murtasim hesitated for a moment before admitting a half-truth.

"Woh darr na jaye nind mai isliye," he confessed, choosing not to divulge the complete truth. Maryam regarded him with a quizzical expression, her eyes searching for answers.

"Aap humesha se itne acche they ya Mahjabeen se mohabbat hogayi hai aapko?" she teased, a playful smile dancing upon her lips.

"Maryam chup chaap sojao," Murtasim responded, his voice carrying a mixture of fondness and slight annoyance, unable to hide his affection for his sister.