Chapter 16 Part 2 (Murtasim aap sofey par mat soye mujhe accha nhi lagta)

As they made their daring escape, their hearts pounding with fear and adrenaline, Maryam and Mahjabeen found themselves running through the dark, secluded. The moonlit path provided them with little cover, and they could feel the weight of the gazes that followed them from a distance. They knew they had to be swift and cautious to evade capture.

It was night, they had to crouch down to not be detected by Malik's men as they ran towards their car. To their horror, Maryam's car was missing from the road and some men lingered in the bush ready to attack. Sweat dripped from Maryam's forehead as she realised the gravity of their situation, her hands trembled as she took Mahjabeen's hand and they hid in Malik Zubair's khaith.

Back at Khan Mansion, Maa Begum, urgently dialed Murtasim's number. She informed him about Maryam and Mahjabeen's disappearance, adding that they had left in their car, claiming that he had summoned them. Maa Begum's voice trembled with worry as she relayed the unsettling news to Murtasim, desperate for his swift intervention.

Murtasim listened intently to Maa Begum's words, his mind racing with concern for his sister and wife's safety. He realized the urgency of the situation and the need to act swiftly so on his way to Panchayat he instructed his men to take Malik Zubair to Panchayat as he figured out where the two went. He called Bakhtu, who had witnessed their departure, to provide any information he could.

"Bakhtu, tumne unko jaate hue dekha tha. Batao, kya tumhe unka rasta ya koi aur pata hai?" Murtasim questioned, his voice laced with a mix of worry and determination.

Bakhtu, felt guilty realising it was his mistake if he had double-checked with Khan wouldn't have taken place. Bakhtu told him the entire story, when and how the two of them went out.

When Murtasim realised the two were in the village, he cursed out loud. Grabbing his shawl he took the gun and directed all the men to find his sister and wife. Half an hour passed, and the entire village was searching for them with torches in their hand. They screamed their names, on the other side, Maa Begum was praying for their safe return.

Mahjabeen, catching her breath, turned to Maryam. "Tumhe raasta maalum haina?" she asked in a hushed tone, her voice filled with fear.

Maryam nodded, her face reflecting a mixture of fear and resilience. "Haan, ye zameen Malik ki hai haveli do kilometre dur hai, humein khamoshi se jaana hoga" she responded, her words carrying a sense of cautious optimism.

"Theek hai chalo," Mahjabeen whispered, her voice filled with determination and a hint of relief. The two knew they had to rely on their wits and stealth to navigate their way to safety.

With hearts pounding and their bodies crouched low, Maryam and Mahjabeen crawled and crept through the darkness, careful to avoid any prying eyes. Every step was taken with caution, their movements slow and deliberate.

After what felt like an eternity, they finally reached the haveli, a sanctuary amidst the chaos. Their tired bodies found solace within its walls, and they were taken in by servants.

Inside the haveli, Maryam and Mahjabeen took a moment to catch their breath. Their eyes met, reflecting a mix of relief and exhaustion.

A servant called Murtasim informing him that his sister and wife had reached the haveli. He sighed in relief and went back to the Panchayat, and the villagers joined him.

The first question the clown-faced Malik Zubair asked him was, "Maryam theek haina?"

Murtasim glanced at him his eyes bloodshot as he pointed the rifle at him, and snarled out, "Meri behen ka naam lene ki jurrat kaise ki?" his hands were trembling as he glared at him. People tried to calm him down but the anger was bursting inside him, all he could see was red.