Chapter 19 Bonus

Murtagh's gaze fell on the two elven women, vaguely paying attention to Eragon talking about... something.

They both looked poised, ready for anything.

He recalled seeing Fallyn fighting the Shade - her graceful and deadly skill with a blade assuring him she absolutely could take care of herself.

"Aren't you worried?"

"Hmm?" Murtagh looked back at Eragon.

"Fallyn... aren't you worried about her?"

"Eragon... she's a Dragon Rider..." he said pointedly. "She's probably fought many of the Forsworn, and even Galbatorix himself, and walked away from all of them."

"She would have had a dragon then," Eragon said.

"We saw her fight a Shade, no dragon, and she walked away unscathed," Murtagh pointed out. "She's an exceptional warrior and a talented magic user. You don't need to be so worried about her. Or Arya, for that matter."

"But this is a battle-"

"And anyone, no matter race, sex, or skill, could fall," Murtagh said. "I don't think we need to worry about them though."

Eventually, the two of them fell silent as Murtagh stared into the distance. He found himself humming under his breath, clumsy attempts to mimic the words in his mind to the poems he had heard Fallyn sing or murmur during their time together.

He wondered briefly if she would stay true to her promise to teach him her language and the history of her home. The human, elven, and other records. The religions and wars, all of it.

A sensation of something ran through him, and he could see the entire army stir.

It begins.