Chapter 11

The next morning, Eragon took off with Arya and Saphira. As they rode, Murtagh guided Snowfire.

"You keep looking over at me as if there is a question on your mind, Murtagh," Fallyn sighed.

"You spoke as if your people and Arya's are separate," Murtagh said. "I'm trying to understand it."

"According to the elves that Arya comes from, my people are simply pointy-eared humans," she said dryly. "We are mortal and lack the strength, grace, and beauty that her people have. Once we had an Empire that stretched across all of the lands to the east. Then it fell, and shemlen gathered us and enslaved us."

"I don't know that word," Murtagh said. "Is it another race that lives there?"

"In a manner of speaking," she chuckled. "It is a word that means 'quick children' and my people used it to describe humans."

"Odd choice of naming," he commented.

"Not when you consider that once they were immortal, like the elves of this land," Fallyn answered.

"What changed?"

"Some say it was the arrival of humans that quickened our blood and made us mortal," she said. "But honestly, I doubt that. The elves of this land were mortal before they joined with the dragons. Perhaps it had something to do with our magic?"

"You don't know for sure?"

"Slavery has a way of erasing history," she said wryly.

"You mentioned that land hunts dragons," Murtagh said. "Perhaps that is why?"

"Hmm," she shook her head. "The hunting came long after the fall of Arlathan."

"I see," Murtagh said slowly.

They rode in silence for a little longer.

"You still haven't said anything to Eragon about my father," he said quietly. "Even when he was pressing me for answers."

"It is not my secret to tell," she answered. "I also swore you an oath. Until you prove unworthy of my trust, I will keep your secrets."

"Thank you," he said.

"Think nothing of it," she said, looking up as Saphira and Eragon reappeared.

"What now?" Murtagh asked curtly.

"The Urgals are overtaking us," Eragon pointed back towards the camp in question.

"How far do we still have to go?" Murtagh put his hands up against the sky, measuring the hours until sunset.

"Normally? ... I would guess another five days," Eragon answered. "At the speed we're going only three. But unless we get there tomorrow, the Urgals will probably catch us, and Arya will certainly die."

"She might last another day," Murtagh said.

"The potion I gave her should extend her time be at least two more days," Fallyn said.

"Then the Urgals will probably be our biggest problem," Eragon said. "The only way we can get to the Varden in time is if we don't stop for anything, least of all sleep. It's our only chance."

Murtagh laughed bitterly. "How can you expect to do that? We've already gone days without adequate sleep. Unless Riders are made of different stuff, you and Fallyn are just as tired as I am. We've already covered a staggering distance, and in case you haven't noticed, the horses are ready to drop. Another day of this might kill us all."