Chapter 8

"Well, the water was sorted, but what about food?" Eragon glanced over the land, slurring his words slightly. "The horses can't exactly eat our rations."

"See those?" Murtagh pointed out the crags in the distance. "Grass grows around them. It's short and tough, but the horses should find it sufficient."

"Good eye," Fallyn commented.

"Well, before we continue," Eragon squinted, "let's rest. My mind is slow and I can barely move my legs."

Fallyn hummed her agreement, and once Arya was untied from Saphira and they ate, they napped in the shade of a dune. Saphira spread a wing over them, her head resting near Eragon.

֍

Once Fallyn felt rested enough, she pushed the hood slightly further back, still sheltering her from the sun, but no longer hiding her face in shadows.

"Opting to show your face now?" Eragon teased.

"I'm not hiding from the Empire outside of the Empire," she responded, then waved her hand at the silvery tattoos on her face. "If you hadn't noticed, I have somewhat distinctive features."

Eragon snorted in response, then looked back the direction they came from.

"News of my escape must have reached Galbatorix by now," he commented. "He would have alerted the Ra'zac, and they're sure to be on our trail by now. It'll take them a while to catch up, even if they're flying, but we should still be on alert and ready for them anyway."

"I hope they won't be able to follow us past Bullridge," Murtagh scratched his chin. "The Ramr was an effective way to lose pursuers; there's a good chance our tracks won't be found again."

Fallyn's eyes scanned across the horizon and she hummed softly in agreement.

"A lucky break if ever there was one," she said aloud.

"I place no faith in luck right now, though," Eragon said from Arya's side. "The Ra'zac could be on our trail even as we speak."

"Then let's not tarry," Fallyn said.

By sunset, they arrived at the crags they'd seen that morning. The imposing stone bluffs towered above, casting thin shadows, and was the only elevation for miles.

Once the horses were picketed where they could nibble on the sparse grass, Murtagh settled to start a fire.

"How far do you think we went?" Eragon questioned as he lay Arya on a bedroll.

"I don't know!" Murtagh snapped.

Fallyn noted that they both looked sunburned.

"We don't have enough water, and the horses have to drink," Murtagh cursed.

"Bring the horses," Eragon said through gritted teeth.

Saphira dug a deep hole and muttering a few words, Eragon was able to draw water to the surface, allowing Murtagh to refill the waterskins and give the horses a drink. He was forced to draw the water from even deeper, but ultimately, everyone was quenched.

The next morning, Fallyn stretched out stiff, cold limbs, while the other two bickered. She sighed, ignoring it as she threw back her hood and readjusted her hair, which was becoming ragged from sweat.

She realised after a moment that there was silence behind her, turning to see the two boys staring with open mouths.

"You're... an elf..." Eragon said slowly.

"In a manner of speaking," she shrugged. "Her people would disagree."

She jutted her chin towards the unconscious elf.

"But..."

"It takes more than pointy ears to make you an elf, apparently," she said wryly. "Come, we should keep moving."

As they left camp, dark smudges could be seen on the horizon. Murtagh thought they might be hills, Eragon wasn't so sure. Fallyn informed them they were not hills, but mountains.

Neither really believed her.

At midday, they stopped for a respite, and that's when they started to realise that maybe Fallyn was right.

"Let's hope the animals that live there aren't in proportion to the mountains," Fallyn overheard Eragon saying to Murtagh.

She looked over her shoulder at them and grinned. Their collective groan brought a laugh to her.

"At the very least," Murtagh sighed, "it will be good to find some shade and spend a few weeks in leisure. I've had enough of this forced march."

"I'm tired too," Eragon admitted, "but I don't want to stop until the elf - uh... the unconscious one - is cured ... or dies."

"I don't see how continuing to travel will help her," Murtagh said gravely. "A bed will do her more good than hanging underneath Saphira all day."

"Maybe..."

Fallyn zoned their conversation out, testing the edges of Arya's mind, sensing danger and immediately pulling away.

As the day wore on, the Beor Mountains did not seem to grow any closer, though the landscape changed dramatically. The sand grew more hard-packed - changing from reddish to dusky-cream. A cool breeze wafted through, and Fallyn breathed in deeply. The horses sensed the change of climate and hurried forward eagerly.

They eventually camped by a stream, grateful to be free from the extreme heat.