"The Pretender..."

"I'm a fool, to do this..." Max said quietly while carrying a large bag. "I feel alone, so alone, without her..." he added. As he walked down the hallway, Max started thinking about his past.

3 Years Ago...

As I walked by the Garden I saw my GF, Matilda, watering the plants. I stopped walking and turned to go through the automatic doors, and as I did Matilda noticed me.

"Hi 'Maxie'! Good to see you." Matilda said to me. "Hi, honey." I said back. I then went on towards her as we hugged each other softly. I then kissed her on the cheek.

"So Matilda, what ya' doing?" I asked, "Oh you know, just watering the beautiful plants here!" Matilda answered. "What about you?" She asked, "I was just about to go over to research on making a new gootraxian, I think that's ok." I said softly.

I then walked away from her as she continued to water the Garden. I waved to her as she waved back. I exited the Garden and went to work on my project.

Later...

I was about to finish scanning a substance I made to see if it was stable, just then, a Blackout happened. "Disturbance detected in power grid. Unable to activate low power outage mode. Please stand by..." I felt worried about a sudden Blackout happening now, but I shrugged it off.

The intercom told the facility to enter the safety bunkers as quickly as possible. I did what the intercom said, that's when I saw Matilda walking into the Crystal Cove. "Matilda, wait!" I shouted. I then ran over to her direction.

When I went into the Cove, I saw her on her knees in front of a white, glowing crystal. Black goo began to covered up her body, as her face was splotched together. I watched in horror as I took out an electric stick, trying to turn it on.

It didn't work after two tries, but it then started to glow the third time, indicating that it was working now. I then looked back at where Matilda was, only not to see her. I looked around in confusion while pointing my electric stick in front of me in every direction. I then heard a growl come from behind me, which then turned into a roar.

"Aah!" I shrieked as I quickly turned around, only to zap Matilda. The electric stick malfunctioned after that one shock, which sucked. Matilda stepped back while preparing to lunge at me again. She leaped with her arms forward, which gave me opportunity to grab her arms and throw her.

I dropped my stick onto the ground and quickly grabbed her hands while turning around to throw her at the window which views the Support Caves. I then realized what I just did. "Wait no!" I shouted as her furry body slammed into and shattered the glass behind her, I quickly grabbed her hand just before she fell.

I wasn't strong enough to carry her up, and her sharp claws hurt my fingers. I began to cry hard as she smiled slowly. She then used her claw to draw a heart in the air in front of me. Matilda then cried a tear and softly said "I love you..." as she let go of my hand.

I watched her fall down into the abyss as I shouted, "NOOOOO!" When she disappeared into the darkness, I slowly got up as two guards and Security Chief, Kyle, came rushing to me. "Max! Max are you ok? Max?" Kyle shouted as I cried down tears while walking to the safety bunkers.

Present Time...

Max snapped back to reality. He then looked back at the large bag he was carrying. He opened it up to show four people inside the, all knocked out. "I'll do this for you, Matilda." Max said silently.

(Interesting!) Word Count - 645