The next day, shortly after, sponsors gave the alliance a loaf of bread from District 4.

Finnick was surprised by the arrival of Johanna and the tributes of District 3, Beetee and Wiress. The newcomers joined the alliance with Finnick, Katniss, and Peeta. Finnick talked to Johanna and carried her into the water to stop her insulting of Katniss.

Though, Kara did find it somewhat amusing, as Katniss could be tiresome.

Later, the alliance returned to the Cornucopia to make sure that Wiress' theory that the Arena is a Clock was legitimate. When they got there, it was time for the deadly fog.

Kara watched warily, hoping the fog wouldn't get any of them.

The group was ambushed by the Careers; Wiress died as her throat was slashed and Finnick was stabbed in the thigh by Enobaria when she threw a knife at Peeta and Finnick stepped in the way. Finnick fought Brutus and injured him before he retreated with Enobaria. Finnick dove into the sea after Beetee fell in, as the Cornucopia moved during the time change.

Kara frowned. "Finnick. I admire the bravery, but please don't get yourself maimed beyond help."

When Katniss and Finnick hunted for water, a jabberjay attack broke out, with the birds' voices emulating the tributes' loved ones screaming in pain.

When Finnick heard the jabberjays targeting him, he called out for Kara.

"Don't listen, Finnick," Kara said. "They're trying to trick you. I'm fine. I assure you."

Finnick believed that his lover was being killed, debilitated by his helplessness.

In that moment, despite the horrors she'd endured in the Games, Kara wished she was there with him to reassure him, to tell him she was okay.

Katniss killed the jabberjay, but that didn't calm Finnick, who was still unnerved by the thought that Kara had been tortured to make those sounds. After he and Katniss escaped the attack, Peeta reassured the two of them that the Games are down to the final eight—and not only must the Capitol have family and friends to interview, but that those sounds could be faked. Beetee concurred, explaining that it would be easy for the Capitol to fake the sounds. The alliance viewed the faces of the tributes that died the second day, discussing who was left besides them and District 2. District 3 sent twenty-four pieces of bread, an unequal number, each eating three. Finnick suffered another night of restless sleep and occasionally murmuring Kara's name.

Kara walked up to the TV and touched Finnick's face on the screen. "How I wish I was able to hold you again. Soon I should hope."