Chapter 4: The Wager

Belle was put to work on the mainline, taking passengers, and goods. She was also very defensive of Jessie, Alice and Morgan.

She worked hard to earn them, and she loves them very much.

Right now, Belle was shunting trucks in the yard. She put each truck into place, and she accidentally hit one a bit too hard.

"Oh, sorry!" said Belle.

Fergus then came up, and said, "A bit slower when shunting! Do it right!"

Belle just hissed steam at Fergus, catching him off guard, and Belle stormed off.

Belle then shunted some coal trucks under the hopper for a train for the branchlines, but the hopper didn't bring any coal.

"That's odd," said Belle, as she pulled under the hopper to get a better look. However, she got covered in coal and dust.

"The coal goes in the trucks, not on you! Do it right!!"

Belle hissed steam once more, and stormed off.

After that, Belle did her jobs, but Fergus never stopped patronizing her.

Every time she did something, Fergus would criticize, and say, "Do it right!"

Belle soon lost patience. Every time she saw Fergus, she'd wheesh steam at him for no reason. And she'd bump him in frustration!!

Fergus was then getting annoyed himself.

As were the other engines.

That was until James came to speak with the Fat Controller, and explained what was going on.

"Fergus, Belle, I'd like a word with you both."

"Yes sir?" asked the two.

The Fat Controller looked at them both, and said, "I am ashamed of you both! We are working on a railway! Why are you at each other's throats!"

"Well sir," said Belle, "FERGUS, here, would rather have his friends scrapped if it meant following the rules!!"

"I'd prefer to do it right, rather than get in trouble!" snapped Fergus.

"That is enough!!" snapped the Fat Controller, "Belle, I am very disappointed in your behavior!! You are a guest here, and guests do not treat their hosts with disrespect!"

"Yes sir," said Belle.

"As for you Fergus!" continued the NWR controller, "I want no more of this, 'Do it Right' nonsense!!"

"Nonsense!?!" exclaimed Fergus, "But sir, they need to do it right!!!"

"What I've heard from the others, are NOT problems that need rectification. I don't care if something is done right! I only care if the job is done well, and there are no slip ups! And everyone makes mistakes. But that's no excuse to criticize everyone! Rules and regulations are to be respected, but they do NOT, by any means, put helping and compassion aside! You will work with Belle, until you learn that not everything has to be your way."

"Yes sir," said Fergus.

Belle then had an idea.

"Fergus, how about this: We'll double head my passenger train. And you will not criticize anyone the whole way! If you do, you'll have to spend a whole day with me, having fun! But if you don't, then I'll learn your way, deal?"

"Deal!" said Fergus.

So, Belle collected her coaches, and waited at the platform.

Soon, the guard blew his whistle, and the two set off down the mainline.

As they headed down the line, they Diesel shunting truck.

Diesel is a black BR 08 shunter, with ladders on his front end.

Diesel then biffed a truck, and it rolled right into place.

"Don't hit the trucks like that!" said Fergus, "Do it-"

Belle then made an, "AH-HEM!!" sound, and Fergus was quick to shut his mouth.

All along the line, Belle kept reminding Fergus not to tell anyone off.

Belle was having fun, but Fergus was not.

However, as they went along the line, Fergus also got glares from the other engines.

There were whispers amongst the others as well, and Fergus didn't hear them.

Fergus was so busy looking at by passers, he didn't see the red signal.

Belle did. She put on her brakes, stopping the whole train.

However, Fergus was about to tell Belle off, when Gordon with the express rushed by them, over taking them.

Fergus was very surprised by that.

"There was a red signal!" teased Belle, "It means to stop! Do it right!!"

Fergus looked down at his buffers.

Soon, they reached Vicarstown, and Belle looked at Fergus, who looked ashamed.

"Something wrong Fergus?" she asked.

"Well," said Fergus, "How did you stay so focused? And how did none of the passengers complain?"

Belle smiled, "Not everything has to be perfect Fergus. In fact, there's no such thing as perfect. Everything is fine just the way it is. And we're all machines, so we're bound to make mistakes. Even those who follow the rules."

"I'm...... sorry Belle," said Fergus.

"Well, you did well," said Belle, "I guess I'll learn how to 'Do it Right!'"

"Actually Belle," said Fergus, "Could you teach me how you do things?"

Belle smiled, "Of course Fergus."

All through the day, Belle showed Fergus how to have a little fun while working.

She even showed him how to be a better friend.

Fergus was a bit resistant at first, but soon loosened up, and just went with it.

At the end, the two engines had become great friends, and Fergus said, "Thank you Belle. It's actually not bad to have some fun."

"I told you!" said Belle.

Just then, James came in, and he biffed some trucks hard.

"Don't hit the trucks so hard!" said Fergus, "Do it right!!"

James just groaned, as Belle laughed. Seems some things will never change.