Chapter 10: Express Engines

Steven had been having some troubles recently. His parts were worn, and in need of replacement. So, he was sent to the works to be mended. The American Controller then had Annie, John and Lilith take it in turns to pull the Express. However, this proved to be a bit much. John was often late to take the Midnight Express Goods, Lilith was late a few times, and Annie was exhausted by the end of each run. So, Seth had to find a temporary engine to help out. He looked through the pages, and found a 4-6-0 Express engine. After making phone calls, a large red engine pulled into the station.

He had large black smoke deflectors, firebox, a large LMS Fowler Tender. His paint work was LMS Marrion with yellow lining.

 His paint work was LMS Marrion with yellow lining

"You must be Patriot," said Sir Seth Eaton.

"Yes sir," said Patriot, "And I'm here to help out with the express correct?"

"And with any other job needed," said the American Controller, "For now, we will trial you on a separate train."

"Yes sir!"

Patriot sat at the platform, waiting for his coaches. Robert pulled up, pushing them along side. The guard's whistle blew, and Patriot took off.

Annie was heading up the line with the Express. She was feeling very puffed out.

"Must keep going! Must keep going!"

Just then, Patriot raced by, giving Annie a scare, as she said, "BUST MY BOILER!!"

Patriot arrived at each station on time. Never early, never late. Soon, he returned to Homestead, and the American Controller said, "Well done Patriot. You have done well to stay on schedule."

Patriot was proud. That night, he was given a warm welcome from all the engines. All except Annie.

"It's not fair!" she said, "We've taken the express more than he has, and yet, he's given a full celebrity's welcome without even taking it!"

"Say," said Patriot, "What's happened to the other express engine?"

"He's in overhaul right now," said John, "We appreciate what you're doing for us right now."

"Yeah," said Lilith, "I'm not used to going at such speeds like that."

"Just don't try and break any records," said Robert, "Nobody except the Pullman Twins have broken Steven's Record, but we don't count that since they're meant to go over 100 MPH."

"Well," said Patriot, "Maybe I will try for it."

The engines all looked at each other with worried glances. Next morning, Patriot was bubbling with excitement, and heard the guard's whistle. Patriot then took off, and ran as fast as he could. The stations were a blur, and he always whistled kindly to the other engines when he passed them.

Soon, he arrived at the station on the mainland, and the station master was there to greet him.

"There!" said Patriot, "How's that for beating that Steven's record."

The Station Master laughed, "You're not even close. Steven's best record is 23 minutes early! You're right on time!"

Patriot was shocked! "23 MINUTES EARLY!?!"

"Yes," said the Station Master, "Now, get ready for the return trip."

Patriot was quickly turned around, and raced down the main line. He pulled into Homestead, as he let out a sigh of relief.

"How was that?" he asked.

"It's a start," said his driver, "4 minutes early."

Patriot was determined to beat the record. Over the next few weeks, Patriot raced down the main line, going the fastest he could. However, his best time was 6-8 minutes early.

However, Patriot was not going to give up. He ran down the line, saying, "COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON!!"

"TRICKY TROCK, TRICKY TROCK, TRICKY TROCK!" sang the coaches.

Patriot raced down the line, going faster and faster, until, BANG!

Patriot felt a pain in his boiler, and slowed down to a stand still. The crew then set to work looking over the Red Engine.

"You've burst your cylinder," said his driver, "Not surprised at how much you were pushing yourself."

"I'll go and phone for help," said the fireman.

However, a whistle was heard, and a large Silver Engine pulled up along side Patriot.

"You must be Patriot," said Steven.

"And you are?" asked Patriot.

"I'm Stevenson."

Patriot's eyes went wide, and said, "YOU'RE STEVENSON!?!"

"What?" asked Steven, "You expected me to be a Bulleid Pacific?"

"Well, no, I....."

"Well, let's not keep the passengers waiting," said Steven.

Steven switched lines, and was coupled up to Patriot. He then set off, and raced down the line. Soon, they arrived, and Steven was even early.

"Look at that old boy!" said his driver, "A new record! 25 minutes early!!"

Patriot was shunted to a sighting, and Steven said, "It's alright. It's just a burst cylinder, it could happen to any engine."

Patriot just looked down at his buffers, and didn't say anything. I feel he has a lot to learn, don't you?