Chapter 7: New Engine

Recently, the work load on the Southern Isle Railway's Mainline has gotten heavier, and needed a new engine to help out. However, there was something going on at the works.

Annie backed into the workshop, with a train of supplies behind her.

"Of all the jobs that I had to do," she grumbled, "Why this? I'm too splendid for dirty trucks!"

"You look just fine," said a voice.

Annie stopped, and looked around. Her eyes went wide to see an engine sitting on one of the work stations. She had bright red maroon like Jinty and Smith, with the same lining. She had a large pair of single driving wheels, inside cylinders, complete with a tender with the number 12 on her sides.

 She had a large pair of single driving wheels, inside cylinders, complete with a tender with the number 12 on her sides

"Who are you?" asked Annie.

"I'm Lilith," said the engine, "Built fresh from the works. Here."

"Wow," said Annie, "That is impressive. We haven't had a new steam engine here for years."

"Glad to please you," said Lilith.

Just then, the foreman came up, saying, "Lilith, you are to be taken to Sodor for your trial runs. You will go by boat to the island."

"Yes sir," said Lilith, as she was taken by Annie.

On Sodor, Belle was finishing after a busy passenger run. The Fat Controller came up to her, saying, "I want you to go to Tidmouth Harbor to collect a train of coal."

"Yes sir!" said Belle.

Belle headed down the mainline to Tidmouth Harbor, and was surprised to see a new engine. It was Lilith.

"Hello," said Belle, "I'm Belle. Who are you?"

"I'm Lilith," said Lilith, "It's nice to meet you. I'm here for a trial run before I start work on the Southern Isle of Britain."

"I live there!!" said Belle.

"Really?" asked Lilith.

"Yes. You are going to love it there!"

Lilith then headed to the Big Station to get started. Belle was impressed.

"She is just as elegant as Emily," she said.

Lilith arrived at the yards to collect some coaches for a passenger run. However, the only coaches available were Alice, Jessie and Morgan.

"These aren't your type of coaches," said her driver, "but I suppose they'll do."

The three coaches were insulted!

"How dare he say we'll do! How dare he say we'll do!!"

Lilith then pulled up to the station, as Belle came by with the coal.

"Hello Belle!" whistled Lilith.

But the come back was not so warm.

"Those are my coaches! Give them back!" said Belle, and she hissed steam at Lilith.

Lilith was surprised.

Soon, the guard's whistle blew, and Lilith set off.

"How dare he say we'll do! How dare he say we'll do!!" grumbled the coaches.

Lilith whistled to the other engines, but they saw her with Belle's coaches. Thomas just crossed over the points when Lilith stopped at a signal, glaring at the LMS engine, while James blew his whistle rudely at her. Percy straight up ignored Lilith, making her feel sad. She just couldn't understand why the other engines were being unfriendly to her.

Soon, Belle arrived at the big station, and the Fat Controller stood at the platform.

"Sir, Lilith took my coaches from me!" said Belle.

"I needed her out of the yard and station for something," said the Fat Controller, "The American Controller has ordered a new set of red coaches for Lilith, and I want you to collect them from Brendam Docks."

"Yes sir," said Belle, although she was still a bit upset at Lilith.

Soon, Lilith arrived at Vicarstown, and Gordon sat at the platform. He took one look at Lilith, and snorted, "Stealing another engine's coaches? Disgraceful!!"

Lilith looked at Gordon, asking, "They're just coaches."

"Those belong to Belle," said Gordon, "Belle worked hard to earn those coaches. She loves them deeply, and doesn't want anything happening to them."

Lilith now understood. "So that's why she was so upset. I'll bring them back to her."

Soon, Belle was puffing down the line with new set of four coaches. Each one had multiple compartments, with corridors, bogies, painted in the Stanier LMS Maroon.

"I hope Lilith will like these coaches," said Belle, "I need to apologize for my rudeness!"

Lilith headed down the line, and was flagged by a signal man.

"Diesel had broken down! He's stuck on a crossing junction! You must help him!"

Lilith saw Diesel sat on the crossing, sulking to himself. Just then, PEEP-PEEP, Belle was heard rushing down the line! She wouldn't see Diesel in time to stop!!

Lilith hurried up, and buffered up to Diesel, pushing him and the train he was arranging, out of Belle's way... Just, in time!

Belle pulled into the station, and panted. Sir Topham Hatt was waiting for her.

"I'm sorry sir," she said, "the signal was down, and I was-"

"It's alright Belle," said the Fat Controller, "I understand you wanted to get your coaches back. Lilith, that was quick thinking on your part."

"Thank you sir," said Lilith.

"And, as a reward, Sir Seth Eaton has also gotten something for you. A set of brand new coaches just for you."

Lilith looked at them, and smiled "Thank you!! Belle, I'm sorry I took your coaches."

"And I'm sorry I was so rude to you," said Belle, "How about we start over? Friends?"

"Friends."

Lilith spent a few more days on Sodor, testing out on the Wild Nor' Western with her new coaches. Gordon took separate express service for the time being. Lilith is now proud of her life. She has a lovely rake of coaches, and friends to call her own. However, she had yet to experience how some engines treat others. Mainly...... I mustn't say anymore, or I shall spoil the next story.