Chapter 13: Relay Race

Steven was put on display and looked all over by the railtour passengers. He loved the attention, making two certain engines very jealous.

"You see," said Steven to Perseus and Leslie, "I am perhaps Gresley's Greatest Engine ever build. Well, maybe not as famous as Flying Scotsman, but still."

"Please, what's so special about Scotsman?" asked Perseus.

Steven looked at Perseus, and said, "You're kidding, right? Scotsman was the flag-ship poster engine for the LNER! The first to pull a train non-stop from London to Edinburgh! And he was the first to go 100 mph!!"

"What about City of Truro?" asked Leslie.

"We don't know for sure," said Steven, "His trial was used with a watch and calculating, while Scotsman's was used with recordings on a Dynamiter car."

"Please," said Perseus, "P2's are much more reliable than A4's. For instance, WE don't rely on bankers."

"Well, my class isn't as much as a coal hog like you!"

"Please," said Perseus, "I am a private engine, just like Leslie. And WE are above you disgusting industrial engines."

Steven had enough, "THAT DOES IT!!! IF YOU WANT TO PROVE HOW MUCH BETTER YOU ARE, THEN I CHALLENGE YOU TO A RELAY RACE!! FIRST ONE ACROSS THE RAILWAY WINS!!" 

"Consider it, in the bag," said Perseus.

Steve then told Duncan about the race.

"A relay race? A dinnae know. Seems a bit much," said the Scottish A4.

"We can finally show up those two egotistical engines!!" said Steve, "Show them that we are just as grand as Private Engines!"

Well then," said Duncan, "let's gae an speir Ms. Snow White."

Soon, they arrived, at the big station, and saw Ms. Snow White, asking her their request.

"Well," said Snow White, "I can ask the Prince and Princess of Wales, along with the Albridge Family

"Well," said Snow White, "I can ask the Prince and Princess of Wales, along with the Albridge Family."

Soon, the arrangements were made, and the rules were set.

"Now," said the Prince, "You are to follow the main line, AND only stop if you need to refill."

Soon, Leslie and Duncan were ready.

"Duncan."

"Leslie."

The two engines stood ready, a Dynamiter car attached to both.

"A'm no gang let ye win an make fun o Gresley's name!"

"We'll see," said Leslie, smirking.