Chapter 8: Lilith and the Diesel Engine

Lilith, the LMS Single, was enjoying her life on the Southern Isle Railway. The other engines were happy to have a new steam engine. However, one engine was not too thrilled to see her.

Lilith pulled into the big station, and saw a strange long blue engine. The engine had two cabs, a large pair of bogies, and yellow ends.

The diesel looked to the side, and said, "Oh joy, another steamer

The diesel looked to the side, and said, "Oh joy, another steamer."

"Hello!" said Lilith, "My name's Lilith!"

"D199," said the engine, "I see this island is just like that Sodor railway."

"You've been to Sodor before?" asked Lilith, "I was there too, for my trial runs before I was put into service."

The diesel looked at Lilith, and said, "You're..... newly built? Fresh from the works?"

"Yes," said Lilith.

The diesel laughed, "Oh, this railway really IS crazy! Why waste all that money to build an outdated steam kettle, when they could build a modern diesel like me?"

Just then, the diesel was roughly bumped from behind, as a line of trucks was pushed into place by Robert, who said, "SHOVE OFF YOU SPAMCAN!!"

The engine, now known as Spamcan, just grumbled, "Oh, where can I ever get away without being called that name?"

Just then, Lilith's guard blew her whistle, and Lilith hissed steam in Spamcan's face, saying, "You're a real rude engine!"

Spamcan just glared.

Lilith puffed down the line, crossly, as other engines whistled to her. Steven was heading down the opposite line with the Southern Silver Rush express, when the Pullman Twins came by at top speed, and towards the mainland.

"Bust my buffers!!" cried Lilith, "What was that!?"

At the next station, she found Dolgoch with his passenger train, and said, "Those were the Pullman twins. They go all the way to London and Scotland, without stopping in between stations."

"What are they?" asked Lilith, "the kind of looked like this blue boxy engine I saw at the station."

"They're diesels," said Dolgoch, "They run on oil, or petrol."

Dolgoch headed off, and Lilith said, "Petrol? What on earth is that?"

Spamcan, deciding to cause some mischief, rolled along side, and said, "It's a fuel source that's much cleaner than coal. That's why the mainland scrapped every single steam engine there, and this island is next!"

Lilith's eyes went wide, "We're...... next?"

"So sad," said Spamcan, "You never really got a long working life."

Lilith, worried, thought of something.

"If petrol is cleaner," she thought, "Then maybe I could use it!"

The next morning, Lilith pulled up the the fueling depo, and went next to the Diesel Fuel Pump. Her fireman, who hadn't had his morning coffee, didn't realize what he was doing, until he smelled something. His eyes shot open, as he yelled, "THIS IS DIESEL FUEL!!!"

He quickly stopped the fueling, and called for help.

Soon, the American Controller came, with Spamcan close by, and the big diesel said, "You just waisted precious fuel! What is wrong with you!"

"I.... I didn't want to be scrapped," said Lilith.

"Now who told you that you would be scrapped?" asked the American Controller.

By the time Lilith explained everything, Spamcan was looking rather pale.

"D199," said the American Controller sternly, "I have told you more times than I care to count, this railway will NEVER  get rid of the steam engines here! And while coal is not as clean as petrol, your fumes still cause the same effect if not used properly! However, it seems you will never learn. So, you are to leave back to the mainland, and I will be having a word with your controller, Spamcan!"

Spamcan looked down at his buffers, as he looked away. He was soon coupled up to a long line of trucks, and he left, without another word.

The American Controller then said, "Lilith, you must understand, this railway, just like Sodor, is a safe haven for all engines. As long as my family is in control, along with the Hatt family, then Steam and Diesel engines, will never have to face the cutter's torch."

Lilith felt much better. After a thrall clean out of her boiler, she was refilled with water, and headed back to work. What of Spamcan, well, let's just say, he never once spoke of 'cleaner fuel' after that day.