Chapter 5: How they felt

Belle was just pulling into Wellsworth, and saw a large green diesel sitting in the sightings.

He was a large Metropolitan Diesel Electric Type 2, or BR Class 28. He had a Co-Bo wheel arrangement, and the BR crest of the lion instead of the arrows on his rear cab.

 He had a Co-Bo wheel arrangement, and the BR crest of the lion instead of the arrows on his rear cab

"Hello there," said Belle, "You must be Boco."

"Indeed I am," said Boco, "And you must be Belle. I've heard of you. You're related to Thomas."

"Yes I am," said Belle, "And, well, I've been thinking recently."

"About what?"

"How far we've all gone. I mean, two railways that still use steam, while the rest of the world is Diesel or Electric? It's amazing."

"I agree," said Boco.

"Although, many of us didn't believe it at first."

"Really? How did it go?"

"Well, it was like this."

1968.....

Belle, Jack and Nicholas were being fired up for the day, and the three were listening to the radio as well.

"...And there will be bright skies, with a few occasional clouds today.

"Today, British Railways has said goodbye to steam once and for all, as the final steam powered train was pulled yesterday, and they have officially switched to Diesel powered engines to replace them. Sadly, a majority these engines have been placed up for scrap. And many people are now doing everything to preserve these engines.

"What?!?" exclaimed Jack, "Steam is gone!?"

"It can't be!" said Belle, "They can't just do this!!"

"Well, it was bound to happen," said Nicholas, "I just didn't expect it to be so soon."

"I have to tell the others!!" said Jack, steaming out of his birth.

"Wait!! Jack!! You're trucks!!!" cried Belle.

Jack didn't stop until he arrived at the big station, where he found Steve and John at the platforms.

"Jack, are you okay?" asked John, "What happened?"

"It's.... important.... news!" said Jack.

"What's wrong?" asked Steven.

"The mainland.... has officially..... withdrawn steam!!!"

John and Steve looked at Jack, and just laughed.

"Oh Jack!! That is rich!! Steam is gone forever!!!" laughed Steve.

"I'M SERIOUS!!!" snapped Jack, "They announced it on the radio!!"

"Oh, was it like this?" asked John, before mockingly saying, "'All steam engines are now gone from British Railways, and will now be placed up for Scrap! Diesels now take up the slack!!' GAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

"HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!"

"What's all the commotion about?" asked Jinty.

"Oh, it's just Jack!!" said John, "Something about Steam being withdrawn forever!!!"

Jinty then laughed.

Then, the American Controller came out of his office. However, this was the Grandfather of Seth Eaton.

"What's going on out here?" he asked.

"Oh, it's nothing!" said Steve, "Jack's completely lost it!! Going on about, 'Steam being officially Withdrawn from the mainland!'"

The three engines laughed, until the American Controller said, "Oh, so, you already know."

".........What?"

"It's true," said the American Controller, "All of it. I wanted to tell you all, but, better than never."

"But.... But.... that's..... it's...... COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!" yelled Steve.

"INEXCUSABLE!!" yelled John.

"Sir," said Jack, "You aren't going to do that, will you?"

"Oh no Jack," said the American Controller, "No engine will ever be withdrawn on my railway. Not while my family is in charge."

"But, what of the engines on the mainland!!" said Jinty, "Can't you save some of them?"

"I'm sorry," said the American Controller, "There just isn't enough work to share. I'm sorry."

"But, my doncaster brothers and sisters!!" said Steve, "All drawn the same time as me!?!"

"I'm sorry," said the American Controller, "But, most of them are gone. I've heard a few have been preserved, along with the Flying Scotsman, who's still in service."

"But, the other engines?" asked John.

"There's nothing I can do. Unless another is needed, I'll look into the pages."

Jack glared at the others, and said, "Now who's lost it?"

Steve's guard blew the whistle, and he set off, with Annie coming into the station.

She saw the looks on the other's faces, and was filled in on what was going on.

Present.....

"Since then," said Belle, "We've actually saved a few engines from scrap."

"That's great!" said Boco, "Scrap is a prospect no engine should face."

"Indeed," said Belle.

Just then, Belle's guard blew his whistle, and Belle set off.

"Goodbye Boco! It was nice talking with you!"

Belle then set off, knowing that she was safe, and still working hard on a real railway, with real friends.