Chapter 24: Maggie's attempt to kill Negan and Rick's death

Mackenzie Rosita Prime POV

I was sitting with Judith and Julia. I sighed. We heard a knock. "Hey. Hope I'm not--"

"No, you're good. Come in. What's going on?" I asked as I gently rubbed Julia's head. "Maggie's here." He told me. 

"Aunt Maggie" Julia and Judith said at the same time. "One of the guards told me she just came through the gate."

"What?" I asked. 

I got down to where Negan's cell was. Guagliò was behind me. "Maggie?" I asked. "Get out of my way." She demanded. 

"You're willing to turn this into something else?" I asked. "For him?"

"Not for him, for me. For others. For Glenn. Negan should've died under that tree. Same with Megatron and Starscream." Maggie snapped. "But he didn't die, Maggie. It's done." I told her. 

"Because Optimus decided it was?" She took a step closer. "Step... back." I told her. "You were there, Mackenzie. You saw what Negan did. He killed Sunstreaker." She told me. 

"You think Glenn would want this? For you to go through me to get to him?" I asked. "I dunno what he'd want. I dunno, because I never got to say goodbye." Maggie told me. "He wouldn't want it." I told her. "Your father wouldn't want this. You know this." I told her. 

"The only thing I had, the one thing I had was knowing I was gonna see Glenn's murderer die, and you took it from me." Maggie snapped coldly. 

"So takin' it back, what the hell is that gonna do?" I snapped. "It's gonna start things over." She told me. 

"No. It's gonna start something else!" I yelled. 

"If he butchered Optimus in front of you instead of Glenn--" Maggie started. 

"Maggie.." I warned her. She was pushing me to a limit. "If you had a child to raise alone because of him, he would have been dead a long time ago, and you know it." Maggie snapped at me. "So, stop acting like this is a choice. Stop acting like I can turn it off. Because it has been a year and a half, and I can't." 

I sighed. "You're gonna have to find a way." I said. "Tell me how." She told me. I looked at her. "If there is something else that I can do, Mackenzie. Because I can't keep livin' like this." 

I looked at her. "Maggie. When Optimus first met me, he had the chance to kill me or become a traitor and run for it." I started. 

"So I should run?"

"I'm not saying that..." I sighed. She held her hand out for the key. I then handed her the key. I felt my whole soul break when Maggie walked in. 

I saw Maggie come back out and there was no blood on her or the thing she had in her hand. 

I was confused. She handed the key back to me. "Maggie, Mackenzie, somethin's up at the camp." She told us. 

Rick heard a roar and looked. Picke then landed in front of him. She roared and fired her breath at the walkers. 

Rick turned and I saw him and he was bleeding. Pickle kept taking out the walkers the best she could. 

"What is he doing?! He's hurt!" Maggie yelled. "That herd will run right through Hilltop." Daryl said. "He's trying to bring down the bridge."

"No." I ran for it. 

I ran through the woods. 

Pickle then saw the dynamite dropped by the walkers. 

Maggie and Michonne ran behind me. 

Pickle turned to Rick. She chittered. He got beside her. She then roared. 

I got close to the road leading to the bridge. 

Pickle opened her mouth about to fire her blast. 

"RICK!"

"I found 'em!"

Pickle fired her breathe and the bridge exploded. 

I watched shocked as the bridge blew up. I widened my eyes. "NO!"

I ran around the bridge. 

I saw Pickle and she wasn't moving. 

"PICKLE!" I screamed. I ran over and slid next to her head. 

She opened her eyes and chittered at me. She then opened her wings. I widened my eyes. 

Rick's body was being held tightly in her wing. "Oh, God. Rick!"

I then saw Ann. She ran over. "I'll take him somewhere safe. I promise." She told me. I nodded. I then kissed Rick's head.