Chapter 3

Five days. Aemeryn began her countdown when she awoke that morning. She bathed and dressed in silence. The chambermaid assigned to her while she was at the Red Keep didn't force any conversation out of her, and Aemeryn was grateful to the young girl.

Daemon and Rhaenyra looked at their daughter with concern as she broke her fast with them in more silence. Aemeryn was always lively and talking to her siblings.

"Are you okay?" Baela asked as she leaned over slightly. Aemeryn forced a smile on her face as she picked at the fruit in front of her.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because you're about to marry the Targaryen cyclops?" Jace grumbled from across the table. Aemeryn smiled genuinely at her brother while Rhaenyra gaped at him.

"Enough. We've known this day was coming for years," Rhaenyra said as she tried to keep the peace. Jace and Aemeryn simply shared a look and a grin before picking at their food again.

Aemond, to his credit, was trying to avoid Aemeryn at all costs. Her chambermaid informed Aemond of where she was during the morning, but by noon, she had disappeared. He overheard Jace and Luke rambling on about going to the Dragonpit, but they didn't mention if Aemeryn was going to join them. He didn't like how nervous he was feeling about not knowing where she was in King's Landing.

"Aemond?" Aemond blinked and looked down at Helaena. He was accompanying her on their daily walk throughout the gardens.

"Hmm?"

"You seem troubled." Helaena bent forward to smell a flower, and Aemond caught blonde hair under the Godswood tree. He narrowed his eye as he realized it was Aemeryn with a book in her lap. Her hair was pulled away from her face but was left down to rest at her waist. Her dress was such a dark blue that it appeared black. Aemond scowled when he had to admit she looked beautiful sitting there.

She was completely oblivious to her surroundings as she read the book in her lap. Aemond watched as she turned the page. He was too far away to see what book she was reading, but it evidently had her enthralled.

"Go talk to her?" Helaena asked as she followed Aemond's gaze. She looked over to Aemond and blinked. He knew exactly what she was thinking from just the blank stare and the blink she gave him.

"It's not that easy, Hel," Aemond muttered as he turned his gaze back to Aemeryn. Joffrey was running over to his oldest sister, and she had her arms open to catch him with a smile on her face.

"She's good enough to be your whore but not your wife?" Aemond turned to his sister so fast that he smacked her with his hair. "You need a haircut, Aemond."

"Why would she be my whore, Helaena?" Helaena stared at her brother like he had grown two heads.

"Because she's been sneaking in once a week for over a year now, Aemond." Aemond's eye grew as he alternated his stare between Helaena and Aemeryn. Aemeryn had moved Joffrey to her lap despite the fact that he was too large for that at eight. She pointed to something on the page and smiled at her brother's curly head. "Treat her right, Aemond. Do your duty." Helaena patted his chest before walking around him to continue her garden stroll.

It all came down to duty in this family, didn't it? At least it did to Aemond's side. He couldn't think of anyone that was married for love in his immediate circle. Even Rhaenyra's first marriage didn't have love.

Aemeryn could feel his intense stare and finally looked up. She had hoped that he would have left with Helaena, but he had stayed and stared. She was certain that he would grow roots himself if he stayed in that spot staring at her any longer. Aemeryn moved Joffrey's surprisingly heavy body off of her legs before slamming the book closed and standing. She smiled down at her brother and took his hand before walking off.