Chapter 8

Aemeryn woke up to Aemond almost running into the room. She sat up and looked at him confused before he tossed a dress at her.

"The King is dead. They are crowing Aegon today," he said as he pulled his cloak off. Aemeryn stared at him silently while clutching the black and green dress. "Move!" He yelled when he saw she wasn't getting dressed.

"What?" Aemeryn finally whispered as she watched him pace around his room. With a yell, Aemond flipped the table by the door and threw the chairs. Aemeryn jumped as she watched him.

"My father is fucking dead, and they are crowning my brother in a few hours. I have to go with Cole to find him."

"Aemond-"

"Don't. War is coming, Aemeryn," Aemond whispered as he placed something on the bed by her feet. Aemeryn picked up the crown of King Jaehaerys and King Viserys and looked up at Aemond. "Your mother's crown. My mother cannot know of this plan, Aemeryn. I have already convinced both her and Grandsire to let us leave shortly after the coronation to inform your mother of the King's death and the usurping. You can inform Aegon once he is crowned; he won't refuse you."

Aemond finally took a breath and walked over to Aemeryn. A single tear fell out of her eye as she blinked and looked up at her husband. He sighed and pulled her into a hug. Aemeryn didn't deserve to take his anger and hurt over everything that was happening. Aegon's words were a constant track in Aemond's brain as of late. "Aemeryn deserves better than the likes of us Targaryen men. So I will love her from afar like I have since we were children, and I will watch you completely fuck it up."

"You need to go find Aegon before Cole realizes how long you have been gone." Aemeryn had barely spoken the words when someone began pounding on the door. She grabbed the crown and hid it under the sheets. The door flew open and an angry Criston Cole walked in.

"What is the hold up, my Prince?" Ser Criston asked through clenched teeth. Aemeryn had her head to the window and was moving her shoulders like she was sobbing silently.

"I just informed my wife that her grandsire is dead, Cole. If you care to remember, she was quite close to the old man." Aemond reached out and rubbed Aemeryn's head.

"My apologies, Princess."

"The coronation will be at the dragon pit," Aemond said softly to Aemeryn. She nodded her head, and Aemond placed a kiss on her temple before walking out with Cole.

A chambermaid came scurrying in long enough to help Aemeryn dress. Her hair was pulled back into a fishtail braid that went down her back. While she had to admit the gown was pretty, she was starting to absolutely loathe the color green.

Aemeryn walked to her grandmother's chambers like she didn't have a care in the world. A guard was stationed outside of the door, and Aemeryn cursed under her breath. Her dagger was strapped securely to her thigh, but she hoped she wouldn't need it. She grabbed it and tucked it into her sleeve anyway. Once close enough, Aemeryn realized Ser Erryk, and he moved aside immediately.

"Princess," he said as he bowed.

"Ser Erryk," Aemeryn replied as she hurried into the room. Rhaenys stood quickly when she heard someone enter the room. Aemeryn froze when she made eye contact with her grandmother.

"I would say green becomes you, but I know black is your favorite color," Rhaenys said quietly. Aemeryn ran over to her and hugged her tightly.

"They're crowning, Aegon."

"Yes."

"We need to get you out of here, Grandmother."

"And what of you? You were the heir to the Iron Throne, Aemeryn. Do not think that the Greens have forgotten that fact."