Chapter 46

Aemeryn stared at her reflection for what felt like an eternity. She stared in silence until her temporary chambermaid walked over to her with a hairbrush.

"My hair stays loose. Do not put it up in any way," Aemeryn warned as she took her seat again. The chambermaid nodded and brushed her hair quickly. Amara cooed at nothing in the small bassinet beside the bed, and Aemeryn smiled softly.

A knock on the door caused the chambermaid to finish brushing Aemeryn's hair in record time and open the door. Helaena stood there with a small smile and walked in as the chambermaid excused herself.

Helaena's hair was pulled back in a braided bun, and she wore a black mourning veil. Her dress was mainly black but green filigree decorated the fabric. She took in Aemeryn's clothes and smiled in surprise.

"I never thought you would willingly put green on again."

"Just this once won't hurt." Aemeryn's dress was mainly an emerald green with black tulle on the skirts. Her hair fell in loose curls down her back and over her shoulders.

"You're not putting your hair up?" The question was innocent enough, but Aemeryn's back stiffened anyway as she shook her head. "Oh well. I brought something for Amara. I hope that's okay."

"Of course that's okay, Hel. Thank you."

Helaena smiled again and walked over to the bassinet. Aemeryn noticed the cloth in her hand and tilted her head as she waited for Helaena to explain.

"It's a dress," Helaena explained as she held the dress out for Aemeryn to take. It was a small, ruffled, green and black dress that Aemeryn had never seen before. "It was my dress once, and then it was Jaehaera's. I highly doubt Aegon and I will have more children, and I figured now would be an okay time to let Amara wear it. I know she'll never wear it again after this, but at least it will be worn one more time."

"Helaena..." Aemeryn let her voice trail off with a smile. She truly didn't know what to say to her aunt about the gift. She hadn't expected this at all. In fact, she had planned to dress Amara in one of her old black dresses from when she was a babe.

"I better go find Aegon before he wanders off. I'll see you in a few moments, Em." Helaena hugged her quickly before leaving her chambers. Aemeryn watched her leave silently before walking over to Amara to put the dress on her small body. She had turned the nanny away when she came to dress her earlier. Aemeryn felt like she should dress her for this. A knock sounded on the door, and Aemeryn turned to look at it as she picked Amara up.

"That would be Harwin," she told Amara with a smile. She had asked Harwin to escort them to the gardens for the funeral that morning when she saw him. Aemeryn opened the door with a smile. "Harwin-" Aemeryn's eyes grew as she stared at who had knocked on the door.

Aemond stood there silently as he looked at his wife and daughter. He was wearing a dark green tunic with black pants and black shoes. His hair was fixed as he normally did, and his eyepatch was firmly in place.

"You both look beautiful," he said softly as he moved to the side so Aemeryn could walk out. Aemond walked beside them with his arms behind his back. He nodded at the various servants they passed on their way to the gardens.

"Where's Harwin?" Aemeryn asked as she finally broke the silence.

"I ran into him on the way to your chambers. I told him I was escorting you to my mother's funeral," Aemond said with a shrug as a guard opened the door for them. He didn't mention that he knew about the dream she had the night before, and she didn't mention having it as they walked down the steps and toward the middle of the gardens.