Chapter 47

Author's Note: Hey all! This chapter is a tad early because I have a super busy weekend. Enjoy!

It was the same shit, just a different day. Aemeryn's eyes followed Aemond through the reflection as he walked behind her and moved her hair over her shoulder to place a gentle kiss on her neck. His eye met hers in the mirror as he moved her hair back into place. He had all but chased the chambermaid off this morning to help her dress. Aemond felt that it was his duty to assist her today of all days.

He was wearing an all black tunic with black slacks and boots. Aemeryn felt like it would be disrespectful to comment on his appearance, so she kept quiet. She noted, with a small smirk, that his sword was attached to his hip where it always was. Amara was wearing the black dress that Aemeryn had picked out for her yesterday, and Aemond walked over to the cradle to pick her up. Aemeryn's eyes moved from her husband back to her own reflection.

She felt almost underdressed for today. Her dress was a simple black sheath dress with a cape covering her shoulders held together by dragon pins. Once again, Aemeryn had refused to have her hair fixed by anyone.

"Are you ready?" Aemond's voice broke the silence, and Aemeryn forced herself to nod. Would she ever truly be ready for something like this? She expected for Aemond to take her arm like he always did and was surprised when he took her hand instead.

"I'm sure we're the last ones to leave," Aemeryn said softly as she looked around the empty halls of the Red Keep. It felt empty and hollow today, much like Aemeryn did, and she didn't want to dwell on that.

"I'm sure you will prefer it that way, little dove," Aemond whispered right back before leading her out the doors and to the waiting carriage.

Rhaenyra wasn't about to have another incident like yesterday if she could help it, so she ordered that the entire family take carriages to the cliffside. Aemeryn didn't find it odd that only the family would be in attendance since her mother was having to build an entirely new small council. Besides, aside from the Silent Sisters and the high Septon, only the family was at Alicent's funeral as well.

The streets were fairly empty. Aemeryn turned her head to look out of the window through the crack in the curtain, and Aemond kept his gaze on the back of her head. She had shown no emotion since he walked away from her two days ago, and he was becoming concerned. He knew that Rhaenyra was having Aegon stay glued to Aemeryn's side in case she attempted to harm herself again, and they were honestly all waiting for it.

Aemeryn could see guards stationed what seemed like everywhere as they rolled along the cobbled streets. No civilians were out, but they were watching out of their windows. Aemeryn smiled sadly and began to pick at her fingers. She was sure Daemon would have preferred it be this way- with absolutely no one but his family and Gold Cloaks in attendance.

Aemond reached over and slid his hand into one of hers to stop her from picking. Aemeryn looked over at him, and he smiled softly at her. The sadness seemed to be seeping from every pore on her body, but she didn't shed a single tear.

"Are you okay?" Aemond finally asked as he stared at her. Aemeryn smirked and looked down at their entwined hands.

"Were you okay yesterday?"

Aemond frowned at her lack of a straightforward answer and squeezed her hand gently. "No, I wasn't. But I had my family with me, and I think that helped. Besides, I was always strong for my mother during life. Why wouldn't I be strong during her death?" Aemeryn stared at Aemond in silence for a moment. Above them, Vermithor let out a roar, and Aemond looked up to the ceiling of the carriage. "He follows you everywhere."