XII ~ Ivory

We painted the world scarlet,
And hoped and dreamt that it would stay that way.
It took them all but a few moments
To pour gloom onto our embers
And turn it into the colour
They appreciated and we frowned at -
The palest hue of ivory.

Ivory

The royal garden, filled to the brim with chattering and socialising people and the aroma of fruits and flowers and the breakfast buffet of fruits and juices and smoothies of all sorts, did not truly fall silent like their entrance usually mandated. 

But almost every eye migrated to the couple in turquoise and ivory and the fact that they had been together the entirety of the night before - as the princesses in question had already let every ear present in the garden know - raged like the asleep embers of a wildfire in every heart. 

It was as if they had specifically willed themselves to keep talking so as to show the two that their respect had severely diminished amongst the royalty. 

The other Pandava brothers went forth to meet up with Krishna and Subhadra, while envious glances stroked the skin of the two who were yet to let go of each other's hands like tongues of venom. They could not care less.

Princess Padma, for the first time, was the first to approach the pair. She herself did not even know what questions she thirsted to ask the two, but she knew that she wanted to talk to them.

"Arjuna.", she greeted the third Pandava with a smile of familiarity, half expecting the Panchala princess to throw her the same glance of envy that every girl threw her every time her friendship with the handsome warrior was brought up.

"Greetings.", was all the Pandava prince said in response. That was always the way it was. She would be the ever bubbly princess and he would be the ever cold prince. It was a strange friendship. Rather, the label of friendship was rather strange for whatever they had. 

"My friends there", she pointed at somewhere in the garden where a few girls stood eagerly eyeing the prince, "were quite eager to meet you. It would be great if you would just go and pay them a visit. Maybe that would shut them up for once." The Princess added a little laugh in the end. 

Arjuna's dark crimson eyes only narrowed in the slightest, every muscle on his face still, as he replied, "I should, with much regret, let you know that I am rather preoccupied this morning. I have a scheduled meeting with the Grand Regent, besides being the Princess's escort." 

Princess Padma's face fell, although none-too-significantly. She had been almost expecting a negative response. And this was the man that her parents wanted her to marry. They were insane. He had no interest in the slightest in her, and she might be a pampered, coddled princess who could walk in or on nothing but silk, but she was not that big of a fool. 

"I understand. Thank you for your time.", she replied before quickly moving her eyes to the princess beside him. Her eyes were as blank ashis, her face just as straight. 

What a couple, she thought to herself, basalt statues embodying the very definition of perfection. Even statues show more emotions, though. 

She gave the princess a polite smile and much to her surprise immediately received a very formal, very polite smile in return. She was pleased to see that atleast the princess had a more polished sense of etiquette than her friend did. 

The previously curious princess left with a barely masked sourness on her face, and as soon as she was out of earshot, the Panchala Princess could not help but say, her eyes still fixed on the soft-faced princess's retreating back, "You do realize that you could have been more polite if only for the sake of propriety, right?"