Bob 1.1

❗️❗️TW LANGUAGE❗️❗️
❗️❗️TW VOMITING❗️❗️
(start and end indicated with *)
__________________________________________________________

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Bob asked, "I mean, I've never met them before. What if they don't like me?"

"Bob, honey, everything will be okay. They'll like you, you'll see" Replied Kali, walking alongside him holding his hand.

"You said that about the other guys too" he said as he looked at his feet.

Kali stopped him from walking by stepping in front of him with her hands on his shoulders.

"No," she said, "we are not going to think about the other guys. The other guys were pricks and are not worth you remembering them. Not everyone is like them, honey"

He looked up at his wife.

Almost a year ago they were both deployed to the same mission. A moment before meeting the pilots they would be flying with, Kali had to give Bob a pep talk much like the one they were currently having. Bob was worried that he wouldn't be liked and accepted and Kali was convinced that he was just anxious. She was sure that the guys that they would meet would love Bob. Oh, how wrong she was.

Bob is different, there's no doubt about that. He isn't arrogant or cocky, he doesn't like making others feel intimidated and small. He is polite, humble and mostly keeps to himself. He is not like other pilots.

Because of his politeness and modesty he would not try to defend himself from rude comments or any other form of verbal provocation from the other pilots. He chose to walk away or ignore them, acting like their words meant nothing to him but Kali knew better. She knew that it hurt him to listen to what they have to say about him, and it hurt her that he did not know how to defend himself. So she took it upon herself to fullfil that role. She thought that it would help, that they would leave her husband alone if she stood up for him.

They didn't.

Then Bob had to endure even more abuse. They mocked him and laughed at him for needing his wife to fight his battles. It was only when they started insulting Kali that he retaliated.

This led to a fight breaking out, and Bob was not the one winning. Kali stepped in once again to pull the pilot off of her husband.

All three of them had been sent home without the chance to complete the mission and were replaced.

Bob couldn't stop thinking about that time. He would often apologise to Kali for what the other pilot said about her, as well as for not being able to defend himself or her.

She always told him that he didn't have to apologise because it wasn't his fault. She told him that the other pilot was nothing but a bully.

"It will be okay, you'll see" Kali said, bringing herself out of her thoughts. "Maybe I know some of them"

Bob smiled at his wife, although she knew that it was forced. He then said sadly, "I won't even be in the same plane as you"

Unfortunately, he was right. A few days ago they found out that Bob would have to fly as Weapons Systems Officer with Phoenix, a pilot that Kali knew well. However, not well enough to call her a friend.

They continued to walk in a comfortable silence to the local bar, hoping to get a quick drink and possibly meet a few of their colleagues they would be working with for the next few weeks.

When they reached the door, Bob stepped forward and opened the door wide enough so that Kali could pass him and enter the bar first.

She smiled at him and stepped inside, reaching her hand backwards and waiting until Bob entered and took hold of her hand again.