thirty

I shuddered, but it wasn't his touch that made my insides feel strange. It was the look in his eyes. Passion. Passion for me. Passion for this moment. Passion for his racing. Passion for life. It was as if Charles Leclerc's entire being was made out of passion, and he was sending it straight into me, and it was overwhelming.

"I've missed you," I smiled, "I'm excited for this greenhouse I've been promised." I chuckled, the kitchen full of flowers on the tables, the colour brightening up the room.

He smiled, looking down at me "I know, but it's my job, and I want to be good at what I do, your greenhouse is to be built soon - as promised."

Is it your job Charles?

Carlos didn't go to Canada that early.

Isa said Fred wasn't even in Canada whilst he was.

"Of course you want to be good at your job, and you are," I reminded him, "You're really good at your job, can't you train at home a little more?"

He shrugged, "I was just away for two weeks." Those two weeks longer than necessary, which made me sigh, "I know, but it was the same story for Italy and then Miami, Australia and Azerbaijan."

"Juliette," he put his hands up to my cheeks "If I could change it I would, you know that Mon Cheri, I'm sorry."

"I know," I nodded "I understand that you have to travel so much, and I know that this season means so much for you. I just don't understand why you're gone for so long."

He nodded along, his hands firm "I've told you Juliette, it's the job, if Fred wants it I have to do it, it's the contract not a choice."

I looked down, swallowing a lump in my throat as I asked him, "But why would Fred want you out there if he wasn't there too?"

He raised a brow, "Do you not, do you not trust me Juliette?"

I don't want him to be a lesson, learned the hard way pulped up in the metal teeth of my dumb machine heart, hacksawed and hatcheted, left worsened by my warning. I don't want you to be a lesson Charles. I want you to be my lover.

"It's not that, I just know that he wasn't in Canada until Thursday," his eyes pierce mine, the passion drained "more than a week after you left."

Rather than trying to defend himself, rather than coming up with a new excuse he simply removed his hands from my face, traced his hand up my arm, the scar now prominent but healed, "I'm going out."

I began to speak but was interrupted, he remained silent as he simply walked out of the house, through the door and into his car, without any other words, my mind kept running back to Camila, was I an idiot for introducing them so soon?

Am I an idiot for being so undeniably in love with him?

"Really? Wow my favourite colour is purple." Pierre's mum smiled, talking to Camila as she brought her into the house, Jean and Pascale had been desperate to pick her up from school and take her for ice cream and I couldn't say no to that, she loves ice cream.

"Mummy!" She squealed, holding her arms out for me to go hug her as she peeked her head around my body, looking eagerly for Charles who I promised her would be home today, her happiness dissipated "Mummy where's dad?"

Pascale raised her brows, trying to signal that she was unsure of what was going on, "He's actually staying for a little bit longer, he will call you tonight though Mon mignon."

The little girls sigh was audible, "How about a sleepover at my house Camila? It's a Friday and maybe you can keep your mind off dad not being home." Pascale reassured her, proposing a fun idea to keep her mind off of it.

I should've told them about her a long time ago.

Camila jumped up and down showcasing her excitement to us both, she'd never been to a proper sleepover with anyone but Florence "Really?"

"Are you sure Pascale? Do you think you and Jean can deal with her for a night?" I asked her, I knew what she was doing she was also aware that Charles was in fact home and there was a clear issue between us.

"She's no trouble," she smiled  "are you cami?"

"Nope!" Camila smiled in return, her little smile on full display, the cheesy grin making me chuckle, "Well I can't say no to that face."

Camila instantly ran off to grab her things and put them in her bag, which I was certain I would have to double check before she left, "So you don't have to tell me, but what's going on?" Pascale asked as soon as Camila was out of earshot.

I shook my head, crossing my arms across my body "I wish I knew, I think I'm just an idiot."

"Look, you aren't an idiot. Just get your mind off of it tonight, go out and get drunk or do something fun!" Pascale suggested, sounded like something Esme would say which made me laugh a little bit.

"My managers coming over to dye my hair for a shoot, nothing fun going on here." I snorted, that reminded me I would have to tell Halle that Camila wouldn't  be here for Flo.

She smiled, "Are we coming back tomorrow to brown hair? I remember when you spontaneously dyed your hair just for fun, you hated it."

"Oh no no, a bit blonder that's all." I remarked, Camila ran down the stairs with Pascale in her hand, as in the chameleon Pascale "No, Camila you can't take him with you, he needs his own space in his terrarium."

"First I can't have my daddy, then my dad and now Pascale!" She huffed, shouting the words as she walked to the car, dropping her backpack with her belongings to the floor as she got straight into the car to leave for her sleepover.

Fuck.

"I've got this don't worry, focus on yourself and we will FaceTime you later." Pascale whispered picking up her backpack and passing the chameleon to me carefully, waving goodbye as she also walked to the car.

I waved to Camila, she just stared.

————————————————————————
juliettelaurent:

liked by 11,683,223 people juliettelaurent: "mummy looks like the monster under my bed

juliettelaurent: "mummy looks like the monster under my bed." - Camila Gasly 🤍

comments:

random937: facts yeah

username17: beautiful in my eyes

arthurleclerc: not the one under the bed, damn
________________________________