XLI.

Kiyah
I knew something was going to go left but I had hoped it would be at least over half way through our plan. I move out of my position while silently praying for forgiveness and that they won't spot me. Ace forms a portal and I barely make it in time before it closes.

"Are we back in our time?" Jade asks. I feel a nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach threatening to come up my esophagus with any wrong movement.

"Yeah and side effects may include, but are not limiting to headaches, nausea, vomiting, loss of feeling/taste, nosebleeds, internal bleeding, loss of limbs/organs, disorientation, etc. from time jumping or time traveling if you will." He says. I bite back a laugh while trying to get my stomach to settle.

He shape shifts into a wolf and carries my unconscious partner between his jaws. They lead us into the groundskeeper's shed and shine a light.

"Whatever you do Jade do not splash the time keeper with water. Water holds memory and we do not want to engage in a fight with a time keeper. That will be the worse ass whooping of your life." He says.

While Ace turns to talk to Jade I wake up my partner and we move to the further side of the room. I do a simple levitation spell to make it appear as if they still have their captive.

"I don't even wanna know, but what do you suggest we do." Jade responds.

Ace without hesitation turns into a big hand and slaps the fire out of the time keeper. I allow the cloak to drop.

"I always thought when grandma said she would slap me into next week that it was figuratively." Jade says with wide eyes.

"No I mean she actually possibly could but that time keeper slipped through our fingers. How?" Ace says while lines deepen in his forehead.

"Couldn't we just go back?" Jade asks while looking at the fallen cloak.

"No. They would be expecting us to try it again and I couldn't possibly risk us both going to time prison. Those sentences are lengthy and they can make it last longer by manipulating time." Ace says while getting lost in thought.

"I well we should just train and go through some strategies with the others." Jade says while walking out of the door.

"I can teach you a skill afterwards." Ace says while scrutinizing the shed. His eyes fall on us and hold for a few seconds before he follows Jade.

"Thank you Kiyah."

"You're welcome and here's the cloak."

"You'll return to the corrected time period."

Before I can say anything else I'm back in my room at grandma's house. I look at my clock and it's 1 in the morning. I ease my door open and walk into the kitchen where everyone is gathered around speaking in hushed tones.

"What are y'all talking about?" I ask while trying to keep my suspicions at bay.

"Kiyah how are you feeling?" Grandma says as she studies my face with a look of concern.

"I'm better." I confirm.

"Good because we are going to battle in a few hours." Jade says as she scans me with her eyes.

"Where's dad and Uncle Jaime?" I ask while looking around for them.

"Are you sure you didn't bump your head or suffer from a brain injury?" Jade says while frowning slightly.

"Can someone just please answer my question?" I say while trying not to get irritated.

"They were here earlier today trying to help us locate you. You emerged from the woods in the backyard rambling about you having an excruciating headache. You didn't remember going into the woods and your father made sure you were alright before leaving. Trust me when I say he did not want to leave but he had to make sure his pack is ready. " Grandpa offers.

"Hmm grandpa can we talk? Alone." I say.

He nods and we go into his man cave.

"Look into my memories."

"Kiki..."

"I'm serious."

Grandpa places his hands around my forehead and looks into my memories. He looks at me with an expression of a cross between awe and confusion.

Jade
"Kiyah is going to be just fine Jade don't you worry. Your grandpa will make sure she's alright."

"Yeah..."

"What's going on with you? Don't say nothing. Remember I raised both of you."

"It's just the pressure that's on our shoulders. We have to be perfect without mistakes."

"Do you remember what I use to tell you and Kiyah."

"Grandma you use to tell us everything." She chuckles at my declaration.

"Tell you what...I know you and Kiyah will do the right thing."

My shoulders relax a bit and I nod in response. Her words mean more than she realize.

"I'm going to check on Kiki and then try to get some sleep." I say before kissing her cheek and heading towards Kiyah's room. I knock on her door and she doesn't answer.

"You know I'm right behind you right?"

"Make a noise or something. You scared me."

"Practice for tomorrow. Is there something I can help you with?"

"I was...well I mean I was coming by to check on you."

"Well as you can see I am fine physically and what you can't see in here is stable as well."

"Kiyah can we talk in your room?"

She stares at me for a few moments before she breaks the silence.

"Sure I'll go get the supplies."

"I can help."

"Thank you but I got it."

I awkwardly wait by the door and when she comes back I hold her bedroom door open for her. We go onto her balcony and start making s'mores.

"So what really happened?"

"What...?"

"Please don't antagonize me."

"I had to fix something from the past."

"Which was?"

"When you and Ace were going to slow down time."

"Oh at the time it seemed like a good advantage to have at the time."