XLIII.

Jade
Both Kiyah and myself lean against the doorframe watching our grandparents interact with one another. There is no way I'm settling for less. I look at Kiyah's face to try to get a read and there's nothing she's showing out loud at least. If only I could take her apart to study her brain. They always say you have to look out for the quiet people.

The silent war between us has improved I think or at least it is at a standstill.

"Alright the show is over girls. Now if you're done being peeping Tams grab some of these supplies so we can attend to business."

We join them and grab as much as we can carry.

"Blanche is this cooler necessary?"

"Yes darling it is."

Grandma leaves it at that and we blink to the battlegrounds. There's a few canopies set up toward the edge closest to the tree line. Healers are carrying supplies and setting up their work stations.

"Arnold set the cooler down over here."

Grandma and grandpa go around greeting everyone. I place my items under an empty canopy and Kiyah follows suit. A table is brought over and we empty the contents on top of the table.

"If my love life is not like grandma's I would rather be single."

"I mean no relationship is perfect."

My dad walks up under our canopy.

"Jade. Kiyah."

"Uncle Jaime please excuse me." She nods and walks off.

"Princess I need you to change into your battle gear."

He hands me a garment bag and I arch my eyebrow.

"Go on there's a dressing room to your left."

I walk into the dressing room and change into my battle gear. My dad nods with approval and if my eyes are not playing tricks I could swear I saw a tear trickle down.

"How do I look?"

"You look like you are ready. This suit protects your weaknesses to a certain degree and it enhances your abilities."

"Dad I do not... believe I need all of this armor on. My fate was sealed the moment I was conceived..."

"Jade please just wear it for me. It will put my mind at ease knowing you have a little more protection out there. I can not always be by your side or have a clan member beside you."

Ace climbs on my shoulder.

"I mean he is absolutely right." Ace agrees.

"Alright. You both win."

I scan the horizon for Kiyah, but I do not spot her anywhere. I still feel our connection in the pit of my soul. I shrug and half engage in a conversation with the healers. I mindlessly help with task they need me to do. I guess moments like these feel surreal until it happens. History will be made and I get to play a significant role in it. I have a faint queasy feeling that will not let up, but I try to ignore it the best way that I can.

Kiyah
I check the weather forecast and of course rain is the weather for today. I look up at the dark clouds and the smell of petrichor fills my nostrils. I know even a glimpse into the future may alter today's ending. The only thing I can do is control what I can and just let the rest flow smoothly. I nod and shake out my arms. I start to stretch and my dad comes beside me.

"Kiyah I want you to put this armor on."

"Dad I don't think I would feel comfortable in this."

"It will work with your transformations and heighten your powers. It will also help me worry less about you during the battle."

I reluctantly take it and change into it in a nearby dressing room. The suit is lightweight and flexible.

My dad kisses the top of my head.

"How are you feeling?"

"I feel energized and ready to go into action."

"Good." He saunters off and speaks with a few pack members who sneak a few glances at me.

No doubt he possibly told them to protect me whenever they can while in battle. I sigh and help carry supplies under a few canopies. A cooling breeze slides beside me.

"Hey Ivorie."

"Hi Kiyah!"

We smile and stroll closer to the tree lines. She hugs me or at least attempts to which causes wind to gust around me.

"I missed you too. Not you tryna get me chapped by the wind."

"Sorry I just missed you so much!"

"I forgot to pack some Vaseline too. How are you?"

"Great! Everyone is ready and we are just waiting on it to start. Our sisters in the sky collected water to protect our home in case of fire."

"Thank you so much for your support. You don't know how much it means to me."

"Thank you for doing good in our world."

We share a smile and part ways. I notice more tribes of werewolves piling in as well as clans of vampires. The numbers on our side seem to be promising for sure victory. I don't want to count my eggs in the basket just yet.

'Kiyah if you could meet me at front lines that would be appreciated.'

'On the way dad.'

I meet up with him and the crowd glues their eyes to me.

'Will you do the honors and give them a well spoken pep talk?'

'Yes no problem.'

He hands me two megaphones and I stand on top of a table.

"Jade!! Come on down!"

Jade head whips around at me and she joins me on top of the table.

"Are you sure this is stable?"

"No I'm not sure but I want us together to give this pep talk. This started with us both and it will end with us both."

She hugs me and I pass her a megaphone.

"Hello everyone! My name is Kiyah and this is my sister Jade. I don't believe we have had the pleasure of meeting everyone assembled today. We appreciate every single one of you for coming out. Give yourselves a round of applause. Now we all know we have come together to protect not only our world but the human world as well. That is an agenda we are going to complete today! Please look out for your neighbor on the left and right of you. We are only as strong as our weakest link!"

I nod my head at Jade as I lower my megaphone.

"It warms our heart to see us supernaturals of different backgrounds come together to fight! Fight the enemy with all you have and everything will fall into place. History will be made today and we are proud to fight alongside of you all! The crowd cheers.