Chapter 2: Who's to Blame?

Back with another one guys. Hope I can keep this going. I have much more to tell before I crash and burn.

_____________________

They've been distant lately. Peter did mean to visit her right after he realized what he had done but he never had the chance. Even when school reopened he only managed to catch a few "Hey"s and "Hi"s. Both felt that if this went on any longer, they may lose this friendship that they've built on for many years.

"Last lap people!" Gym Teacher, speaking through a loud speaker. "Let's go, let's go!"

Everyone picks up the pace to finish it early. Due to the damage done to the sports hall, they're resorted to the football field. They only just started Phys Ed back due to disagreements with the other gym teachers and coaches on who could use the field. Thus they settle on a joining the different classes into one streamlined session.

Peter was at what he thought was his usual pace, the one that usually gets him barely above minimum requirements. Seeing as he still felt that he had some energy left and the distance was reachable, he went to a sprint.

Lost in his thoughts, he didn't realize when he start passing people. The people he passed however, did.

"Check it out.."
"Was that Peter?"
"Where the hell did that guy come from?"
"Shoot!"
A mixture of confusion and envy. The last comment from Ned releasing he had to push harder.

Bit by bit at an astonishingly fast rate, he almost made to the front with all the sprinters. However, he wasn't only one who was fast and she didn't do it with the intention to get to the top either.

"Pete, slow down." A hand to his shoulder. "Let's not make ourselves stand out."

"Oh!" Finally snapping out of his thoughts. Releasing the crowd he left behind. "Yeah you're right. Thanks, Gwen."

Slowing his pace matching Gwen's, they let the more athletically gifted crowd pass them. While they do that, seeing an opening for conversation, Peter took it.

"Is this how it feels like?" Peter trying to start a conversation.

Silence. Her face at a glance seemed disinterested. Peter looks away saddened but persistent.

"You know never in a million years I-." Gwen cuts him off.

"I'm sorry."Peter looks back, her hands wiping away her tears.

Understandingly, he decides not to probe further. The class ends after the coaches takes everyone's time. A pat on the back for Peter from the coach after finding he's above average this time.

As mentioned before, this was a joint session so it killed Peter when he couldn't see until school ended. Peter had lunch and Gwen had Physics. He could text Gwen but that would be insincere. For now he had to put this matter on pause.

_____________________

"If you could, George?" Aunt May gesturing to a can of cranberries.

"No problem, May" Mr. Stacy helping aunt May prepare for Thanksgiving. "Gwen, later you and Peter help out Uncle Ben when he comes He's little late on getting the bread."