Dark

There was a knock at my door.

The Chinese food I'd ordered had finally arrived.

My stomach grumbled and I jumped up with excitement, unfurling myself from the bundle of blankets I'd been wrapped in.

Food seemed like the only good thing in my life these past few weeks.

I grabbed money from my wallet on the same table of half dead flowers and gifts that had begun pouring in the week after my hearing.

Their'd been an article written about it in the Daily Prophet.

Most of them were signed with the names of recipients without any message.

I couldn't blame them. What were they supposed to write?

'Sorry for your loss even though your dad killed your mother and then tried to murder you'?

One had said 'feel better' from a classmate—it had made me huff a laugh.

Feel better about what?
My murderous father?
My mother's death?
My grandmothers torture and demise?
Or was it about feeling better because I'd been in the hospital?

A few had said that they were thankful and grateful to me for what I did.

Someone sent me chocolate, another person a stuffed animal owl.

I was even given an award for my 'bravery' by the ministry of magic. The minister had invited me to an event hosted for all those they deemed "heroes" in the war where he'd wanted to present it to me along with the others.

It had been thrown a few days ago and I hadn't attended.

They could all fuck off.

I opened the door.

Lucius stood on the other side, holding up the Chinese food like it was a bag of garbage.

My good mood from my food arriving quickly receded.

I tried to slam the door but Lucius stopped it by putting his foot in the doorway.

"That's not a very polite way to greet a guest," he mocked through the large crack.

I opened the door slightly, leaning between the door and its frame, blocking his view of the inside with my body.

I squinted at the afternoon light. The exact time... I had no idea.

I'd stopped keeping track of it.

His hair was pulled back in a formal way, his outfit a mix of grays and blacks—its material had that smooth look as if it'd just been freshly pressed. Shoes polished, gloves on.

He looked... as he always did.

I hadn't seen him since my hearing. Though I hadn't seen anyone.

"What is it you want, Lucius?" I asked with animosity.

"Can I come in?"

"No."

He lifted his brows, looking at me for a few moments before he asked, "When was the last time you took a shower, Y/N? You really do look dreadful."

I said nothing in response to his comment. I didn't laugh or frown.

I was too numb to care what he thought or feel embarrassed—At the pjs Id worn everyday for the past two weeks, my unkempt hair sticking out this way and that, my chapped lips. There was probably more about myself I wasn't aware of—I hadn't looked in the mirror in some time.