-Twenty Eight-

"Not happening. Over my dead fucking body," Tommy spat.

"That can be arranged," Alfie muttered under his breath. "Look, I don't like it any more than you do, but this has to be believable, Tommy."

"So you want to send my pregnant fiancee right into the fucking firing line?" Tommy roared. "Are you fucking mad?"

"Solomons is right," Arthur murmured begrudgingly. "This is the only way. This is the only way that they know you'll do as they say."

"I won't let them hurt her," Alfie promised. "You have my word on that."

"Your word," Tommy scoffed. "When's your word ever been good for anything, Alfie, eh?"

"Since I fell in love with that fuckin' sister of yours," Alfie answered honestly. "Look, Tommy, you want this over as much as I do and I can't see any other way, mate."

"What else can we do, Tom?" John asked, spitting his toothpick out angrily, feeling as helpless as the rest of them.

"I'll think of something," Tommy answered. "I always think of something."

"Tommy," Grace appeared in the doorway, her voice immediately making Tommy soften slightly and she stepped towards him, taking his hand and smiling. "I've heard everything. I was listening outside the door."

"Of course you fucking were," Polly commented from the alcove where she had been watching the men battle out their feelings by themselves. "And?"

"And what?" Grace frowned.

"Well, as much as it pains me to say this, I suppose that given you're the one putting yourself in danger you deserve your opinion to be heard," Polly rolled her eyes.

Grace couldn't hide the look of surprise on her face but she quickly recovered and squared her shoulders before glancing at the family around her. They all wore varying looks of unease, even Niamh's husband, who was looking at her with a pity that he was the one suggesting she be put in such a situation.

"I think... that I understand Tommy's reservations but I'm a part of this family now too and I'll do what I can to help," she said.

Polly snorted, grinning venomously when all eyes turned to look at her.

"She'll never be part of this family," she muttered.

"Perhaps not to you, Pol," Arthur cleared his throat uncomfortably. "But I'm happy to call her a sister."

"Course you are," Polly tutted, stalking across the room to the doorway. "Personally all I care about is getting this mess sorted and if this is the best way to do it, then so be it. But don't think for one minute that I'll suddenly welcome you back with open arms when you're done because I won't. I might respect you for it but it doesn't mean I have to like you."

"So we're all in agreement then?" John asked, looking at Tommy along with everyone else.

"I can't lose you, Grace," Tommy pressed his forehead against hers, and Alfie felt somewhat uncomfortable at seeing Tommy so vulnerable and so open.

"You won't," she told him gently, pressing her lips against his briefly and taking his hand to brush against her swollen stomach. "We'll be fine, Tommy. This sort of thing was my job once, in case you'd forgotten."

"Who could forget that," Polly quipped from the doorway, sighing when Tommy glared at her. "I'm going to check on Niamh and tell her the plan; get Solomons back in her good books as well."