Facts

So, I'm going to use this book as a journal for myself, as well as others to understand the way symptoms may look for some people (as I do get asked a lot in person, it may be helpful on here too.) I will do my best to answer any questions that people may have about PTSD in general, or my specific experience with it also. 

My triggers are ₲vn$, $v![!d3, 0v3*d0$3, $31|= h4*|\/|, b100d, and the talk of extreme !$014t!0|\| of a loved one. So please do not mention any of these on here, (or on my account in general) unless heavily censored. (Like I did.) Sometimes even just seeing the word is enough to trigger a full episode for me.

So, I am going to share all the facts (and misconceptions) of PTSD that I know. With that said, I will likely forget a lot that I do know, but since I am currently in an episode, and I have poor memory. This is going to be a long chapter, so buckle in and get ready for the ride.

1. Symptoms
"But Kaylee, you can just look up the symptoms easily." While that is true, you will likely only find a set list of symptoms across multiple websites, unless you dig deeper than what the surface will show you. This is because they are widely experienced with in many people diagnosed with PTSD. While these are the most commonly seen symptoms, everyone does not experience them, and everyone's experience with PTSD differs greatly, so you should have an open-mind when thinking about PTSD.
1. Flashbacks and nightmares
This is the "main" symptom of PTSD, as roughly 80-96% of PTSD havers experience this symptom. Flashbacks are a difficult thing to explain, since everyone's are different. For some, they are short but very extreme and real, while others may have day-long mild flashbacks. Flashbacks typically occur after someone is reminded of their trauma. This can happen with places, people, smells, tastes, sights, sounds or feelings that remind you of the trauma, or were there for the trauma. For example, if you smelled cinnamon during your traumatic experience, the smell of cinnamon may trigger a flashback. Or if the trauma took place at a mall, being in a mall can be very distressing and induce a flashback. For most, you can feel when a flashback is going to happen. You may have symptoms before the flashback, they may remain consistent each time, or differ with each one. Nightmares of the trauma are typically very frequent while experiencing an episode, and they are incredibly real-feeling for most.

2. Dissociation
Not many people with PTSD experience dissociation. Roughly 1/4 of people (15-30%) diagnosed with PTSD will experience dissociation. Some people will refer to this as the "Dissociative Subtype" in PTSD. Dissociation is an (usually) unconscious attempt to separate oneself from the trauma and/or reminders of the trauma. This includes depersonalization (feeling that oneself is not real) and derealization (feeling that the world is not real). Someone experiencing depersonalization may feel as if they are outside their own body, and just observing it. This can create the sense that the trauma/traumatic reminder is not happening to you. Derealization can make you feel like things around you aren't real, or that the things you are feeling or experiencing aren't real, and for many, it feels as if it was only a dream. 

3. Hyperarousal
There isn't much to hyperarousal. Hyperarousal is when the body or person kicks into high alert. Signs of hyperarousal can include paranoia, aggression, sensitivity (emotionally and physically), impulsivity, difficulty with focus and decision making, and insomnia. Additionally, some things experiences are increasing heart rate, sweating, shaking, quick and short breaths (hyperventilating), and extreme anxiety. This happens when the "flight-or-fight" response is triggered, and the person experiencing hyperarousal may act out as a way of self defense. 

4. Memory issues
There's not much to be said about memory issues. For some, you may have foggy memories of the trauma, and others may just forget it completely during an episode. Memory issues do not occur in everyone with PTSD, and some may continue to remember the trauma without issues.