Statistics

Roughly 4% of the whole world suffers with diagnosed PTSD. About 8% of the US's population has PTSD, believe it or not. Some research believes that roughly 8 in every 100 (8%) people will go on to develop the disorder at some point in their life. PTSD is seen more commonly in women (5.2% compared to men's 1.8%), people of color (over 25% of POC are at high risk of developing the disorder), people in the LGBTQIA+ community (48% of the community has PTSD, a large 42% being in transgender individuals) and veterans (20%). Up to 20% of veterans go on to develop PTSD due to repeated exposure to combat, war crimes, torture and imprisonment. 30 out 100 (30%) of veterans from Vietnam specifically had developed PTSD. Roughly 8% of people who live with PTSD get proper help or treatment, while the other 92% remains silent, undiagnosed, or without treatment. In PTSD unemployment and poverty rates are higher than in citizens who do not suffer with the disorder. People with PTSD may also be more likely to remain single or isolated, due to relationship struggles after trauma. 

There are roughly 3,000,000 people diagnosed with PTSD in the US every year. It is believed that 2%-15% of people who are exposed to trauma will go on to develop PTSD.

*None of this research is fully confirmed, so all of the numbers are rough estimates, some of which may be inaccurate.