Accidents happen

I waited a few moments, making sure there was only one set of footsteps in the house before I moved, gently pushing open the hidden door. Most of the lights were off so now I'm basically completely blind. I shuffled my feet to avoid stubbing my toe or tripping on the furniture. 

"Mommy?" I asked, looking around helplessly. 

When I received zero response I took bigger steps, stumbling over the rug. Before I could hit the ground someone caught me, holding me tightly and gently leading me away to the couch. 

"I... I thought I told you to stay upstairs.." She said, her voice strained as if she had been crying. 

I blindly reached up, thankfully cupping her face and I slowly wiped her tears away. She sniffled and leaned her face into my hands. One of my hands dropped, gently tugging on her shirt and pulling her closer until we somehow ended up laying down on the sofa. 

I stared up into the abyss while her face was in the crook of my neck. I can feel every single tear that falls and I can't help but pull her closer, her body practically covering mine like a blanket. 

My chest tightens as she sobs and I gently rest my head against hers. My shirt is practically soaked in her tears, it's taking everything in me to not rip this blindfold off. 

How do I even comfort her? 

How can I? 

What am I supposed to say? Or do?  

I found myself gently running my fingers through her hair, holding her tightly as she curled up and rested on me. Her sobs weren't as loud as before, her breathing had started to copy mine, in for 5, hold for 7, out for 8. Not sure when I started doing that but apparently it's working. Slowly she sat up, hovering over me and wiping away her tears. 

"I.. Sorry Im sorry I-" "Why are you apologizing?" I asked, tilting my head up a her. "I just... I lost control for a minute. I shouldn't have done that I'm sorry." She apologized, slowly moving off me. 

"You don't have to apologize for that. Humans have emotions, it's normal to cry sometimes." I reminded her, carefully sitting up to pull her closer. She shook her head, sighing as she took a deep breath to calm down. "You're only saying that because you're nice." She said, shaking her head as she tried to pull away from any sense of comfort. 

Self punishment. 

I didn't let her pull completely away, holding onto her tightly. "No one's ever... not since.. well not since I was a kid.." She rambled. 

"I... My parents died when I was young. My brother and I grew up on the streets. And I just... I never had a chance to be weak. I couldn't be weak. I can't be weak because- it's.. I just can't." She continued, leaving me baffled. 

"After we made our way to America my brother got caught up with the wrong crowd.. we both did. We young and stupid and we needed the money. 

He couldn't hold up the end of a deal... and well, they made sure I got the message to never let them down by leaving my brother's body on my doorstep. 

I had to run once I was implicated in his murder, I left California then I ran to Colorado where I met Tony. 

Tony took me under his wing and helped me get on my feet again. For a while he was basically my mentor and father figure so when he moved to a town outside of NY I went with him and well here I am. 

He introduced me to his friends, then Yelena introduced us to Kate and a few months later Kate brought us you." She explained. I nodded along as she spoke, carefully listening to her story.