Chapter 1

TAMARIN

Tamarin couldn't believe herself.

She let a strange, dangerous dragon swoop in, crush the top of the mountain, and kidnap her best friend.

What kind of dragon was she?

A blind one, Tamarin thought. A helpless one.

"Anemone?" The RainWing called, reaching out around her. She stumbled over the huge boulders, trying to find the SeaWing princess. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah- YAARG!" Tamarin jumped as something almost just below her talons let out a shout. "You almost stepped on me!"

"Sorry," Tamarin said. She patted the floor below her, trying to find Anemone. Dusty scales brushed against her claws. "Are the others okay? Is this the only place that crumbled?"

"I think so," Anemone replied. "We'd better find Sunny or Clay."

Tamarin jumped as someone shouted behind them, "What happened?" She recognized the voice as Visioner, Brightness's twin brother.

"A big NightWing crashed through the mountain," Anemone explained. "We're all okay, though."

But the eerie silence from Visioner told Tamarin otherwise.

VISIONER

Visioner was terrified.

Calm down, He thought. Maybe it isn't him. Maybe it's someone else.

"Can you tell me what the NightWing looked like?"  Visioner asked, his voice trembling.

"Well, he had dark gray scales, and he's really big," Anemone said. "But nothing much. Oh, I think he had amber eyes and a snapped horn."

Visioner stood, frozen for a moment. It's him. Destroyer.

"Brightness. Is she okay?" He asked.

"I think so," Anemone replied. 

"No, she isn't." Visioner spotted Tamarin, the blind RainWing who was Brightness's clawmate. "The dragon grabbed her and flew away."

"What?" Visioner cried. "You mean Brightness is gone?"

"Yes," Tamarin rumbled mournfully. "I tried to pull her back, but the other dragon was too strong. I'm sorry."

Visioner clenched his head, the awful pang of a sudden headache and the fact that his deadly father had kidnapped his sister making him sink to the ground. Black dots appeared in his sight, and he realized that the headache he was feeling hadn't been one of worry and stress.

A vision was sweeping him into a seizure once more.

Visioner let out a strangled cry as he fumbled to hide himself. 

"Visioner? Are you alright?" Anemone called. She made her way towards him. 

"Don't-" Visioner managed to croak. "No- Brightness..."

He closed his eyes as the familiar seizure began to take over his body. 

And suddenly, a flash of light appeared in his closed eyes.