Chapter 6

VISIONER

Visioner gaped at Tamarin with undisguised surprise. A blind dragonet wouldn't make the journey any easier, but it might even slow them down a little.

And Brightness's safety was his first priority, no matter what he said to hurt Tamarin's feelings.

"I'm sorry," Visioner said. "But Brightness is in danger, and we need to get to where she is as quick as we can."

Flickers of dark red and orange were visible on Tamarin's scales. "I might be blind," Tamarin said softly. "But my sense of smell is strong, and I've lived in the dark for my entire life. I'm used to it now. And Brightness is my best friend; I can't stay here while she could be in danger."

"Let her come, Visioner," Mink wheedled. "She'll be amazing, and we'll all try our best."

Visioner bit his tongue to stop himself from growling out loud. Trying their best wouldn't get Brightness's safely out of the torturous cave where they'd spent their entire dragonethood in. They needed all the luck and skill they had, and a blind dragon might ruin it, and it would be dangerous.

"...Fine," Visioner sighed. "But if you're slowing me down, I'm sending you back."

"I won't," Tamarin promised. "So let's go."

Visioner sighed again, and the three dragonets checked to make sure no one was there, and flew off into the dark night sky.

BRIGHTNESS

Gone.

How could Visioner be gone? He had no reason to leave Jade Mountain.

Unless he'd been captured by someone. 

Or maybe he was trying to find her.

That won't be necessary, Brightness thought with a hint of glee. Because I'm the strongest dragon in Pyrrhia. I can kill Destroyer with a flick of my tail. 

The only reason I'm not doing that is because revenge tastes sweeter when I can wait for his confidence to rise, so I can smash it back down again.

And take their lives to the earth.

Now, all I need to do is make myself a voice.