Chapter 7

VISIONER

Visioner angled his wings to the direction of the Claws of the Clouds mountain, racking his brain for any source of memory of how he'd come to Jade Mountain. He remembered spotting this mountain, and he wondered whether they actually lived somewhere in there. 

"Visioner!" Mink called, panting. Visioner turned around. She and Tamarin were struggling to catch up to him, and Mink's wingbeats faltered for a moment. "We need to rest. It won't do good if we barge into Destroyer's cave without any energy at all."

Visioner hesitated. He had to admit that his friend was right. "Alright," He agreed, veering off the course to land at the base of the mountain. Mink banked just besides him, and Tamarin stumbled awkwardly to a stop. 

"I'll hunt," Visioner offered. "I'll try gathering some fruits. You can stay here and rest."

He flew up, scanning the hills. He spotted a herd of deer nearby, and swooped down to grab one in his claws. The deer shrieked, darting off to the side, and Visioner unsuccessfully tried to snatch up a young doe. The entire herd vanished in a crevice, where a dragon couldn't fit into. 

Visioner sighed, and hunted down a pair of rabbits instead.

After a while of searching, Visioner found a bush of wild raspberries, and he picked a talonful, hoping that it would be enough.

By the time Visioner flew down towards his friends, the sun was already starting to set. Mink looked up at him, blinking at his catch. Tamarin was fast asleep.

"Nice," Mink commented. "I was getting hungry. Tamarin, wake up; Visioner brought back food."

Tamarin opened her blind eyes sleepily, her scales the color of a cloudless sky. "Thanks," She murmured as Visioner handed her the berries. Mink sliced the deer with one serrated claw, and offered a hind leg to Visioner. Visioner took the leg, and Mink ripped another for herself. 

"There are a few more berries," Visioner explained. "But I couldn't carry it all. I can get you more if you want, Tamarin."

"It's alright," The RainWing said. "I don't eat much, anyways."

They finished their meager meal, and settled down. Visioner breathed a small plume of fire onto a pile of wood, setting it alight. Tamarin laid down, closing her eyes. Visioner curled up a little off to the side, wrapping his tail over his snout. He almost jumped up in fright as Mink flopped down besides him, her pale wings brushing against his scales. Her scales weren't as cold as most IceWings, but they didn't make Visioner feel warm, either. He curled up into a tighter ball, and sleep soon wormed its way into his exhausted mind.