Chapter 3

BRIGHTNESS

Where am I?

Brightness blinked open her eyes, and flinched away as she met Destroyer's amber ones.

"You're awake at last," He growled. "I was beginning to think that you'd be asleep forever, lazy dragonet."

Brightness couldn't believe it. 

After all those days of safety, she was back in the cave of her nightmares again.

VISIONER

After Visioner had explained everything to Clay, he felt heavy with grief and pain and loss. To his surprise, Clay unfolded one wing and wrapped it around Visioner in a half-hug.

"I didn't know you and Brightness lived in such a harsh environment," The MudWing said. "When we were stuck in the cave with our guardians, at least they gave us food and water and education."

"I don't want to go back. Never." Visioner shuddered. "But I think I need to."

"You don't have to," Clay pointed out. "You can stay here for the rest of your life, if you want. Me and my friends can help rescue Brightness." But Visioner shook his head.

"No," He whispered. "No one knows where the cave is. But I know where it is. Only me. Not even Brightness."

"It's unsafe for dragonets to go on terrifyingly dangerous adventures," Clay said. "Although, to be fair, every teacher in Jade Mountain and the old Jade Winglet did. Except for Webs."

"I'll go alone," Visioner decided. He didn't want to put his friends in danger, even though he knew that if he went alone, he'd most likely get captured and die. "Right now. Yes."

"No, you aren't," Clay argued. "You aren't going anywhere. Tsunami will absolutely kill me and then find you and kill you too. It isn't safe. We'll try finding out the exact location of the cave, and then we'll rescue Brightness."

"Okay," Visioner said. "Can I go back to my cave?"

"Sure," Clay said with a smile. "Just be careful of any random rocks."

Visioner watched as the MudWing limped away, and carefully walked back to his cave. Mink was waiting for him, as always.

"Did you feel that?" She asked as soon as he'd entered. "The mountain was literally shaking! And I thought I heard a scream, but a lot of dust fell from the ceiling and I had to clean it all up. It's really clean now. No thanks to her."

Mink nodded towards Scorpion, who was huddled in a grumpy pile of yellow scales. 

"I was trying to sleep like a normal dragon would," The SandWing growled. "But all the racket you were making woke me up."

"Sorry," Mink whispered, making a zipping motion against her mouth. "So, what happened?"

Visioner explained everything to the IceWing dragonet, including his past. Which was hard, but he managed.

"So you're saying that Brightness was captured by an angry NightWing who was hunting you down ever since you escaped?" Mink asked. Visioner nodded. 

"Then we need to find her."