Chapter 4

ROSE

Rose was horrified, yet slightly glad she earned a new friend, to see that Destroyer had kidnapped his own dragonet and had forced her to live in this torturous cave. When she'd asked why the young dragonet had been outside the cave in the first place, Destroyer just snorted and smashed her head with a powerful blow with his tail.

The dragonet, who's name was Brightness, had woken up, though she didn't say anything. When Rose had asked about that, Destroyer had explained in a quite disgusted tone that she couldn't talk.

Now, Destroyer had gone off to hunt for some grotesque carcass or dragon, leaving Rose and Brightness in the dark cave. The SilkWing peered at the dark purple dragonet, wincing slightly as she saw a long gash across one eye. Her mouth was bound shut with a length of rope.

"Um. Hello," Rose said. "Are you Brightness?"

The dragonet nodded. 

"Well, Destroyer isn't here right now," Rose ventured. "So I was wondering why you've never tried to escape when you were stuck here. I thought there might've been some escape-proof machine that would kill me if I tried to escape."

Brightness blinked at her, and her violet eyes landed on Rose's four large, shiny wings. She turned to look down, and unraveled one wing to show that her talons and feet were tied up in a strange metal band.

"Oh. Did he keep you like that for your entire life?" Rose asked. Brightness shook her head. "Well, that's strange."

Rose ran a hopeful claw across the band, but it didn't budge. She tried sawing it off with her silk, but it still didn't fall apart. 

"There must be a key, right?" Rose said, half to herself. "So all I need to do is find it. Great. Just give me a few days."

She started searching the cave, when a thunderous roar made her jump. She quickly settled onto a large rock, pretending to be asleep. She saw Destroyer thump down into the cave, a growl rumbling in his throat. He walked towards Brightness, smoke erupting out of his nostrils.

"Where. Is. Visioner?" He hissed. Brightness shrugged unhelpfully, but her eyes were wide with terror. She nodded to the cave entrance. 

"No, he isn't in that blasted school," Destroyer growled. "Your brother is gone."