Chapter 9

MINK

"What was that?" Anemone whipped around teeth bared. Mink looked around for the source of the furious roar, but there were no dragons in sight. She did notice that Visioner looked as if an entire mountain was about to crumble on top of him. His claws clenched the ground, and his purple eyes were wide with terror.

Oh, Visioner, Mink thought sympathetically. If only you'll stop being so nervous all the time.

"Do you recognize who it is?" She asked instead. Visioner nodded, his wings trembling. Mink brushed against him lightly, hoping to soothe his nervousness, but that only made him jumpier. 

I wonder if he'll ever find out how brave he actually is.

"Maybe that's his evil psychopathic father," Tamarin suggested quietly. Visioner blinked at her, surprised, and Mink realized that she'd forgotten to tell him that she'd told Tamarin about his past.

"Woah, what?" Anemone said. "That sounds like a lot."

Visioner shut his eyes and crouched low to the ground. Mink looked at him pityingly, and pricked her ears to pick up where the sound had come from. 

"I'll go scout ahead," She offered, and flew off into the sky. Another roar made it easier for her to find where it was coming from. Mink landed silently on the edge of a crumbling cliff, and found a narrow gap just big enough for a full-sized dragon to squeeze in. A deep, cold voice rumbled from inside. 

"Your brother is gone."

Mink stiffened at the sound of a small, startled yelp, which was quickly followed by a growl. "Get out of the way, spoiled dragon. I should have killed you as a gift instead of keeping you for the next blood moon."

So there's another dragon in there, Mink thought. And Brightness, as well. Destroyer must have searched the school for Visioner.

She glided off the ledge and landed besides Visioner.

"Visioner," Mink whispered quietly. "I think I found where the cave is."

"You did?" Visioner blinked at her. "Is- is Brightness in there?"

"Yes," Mink confirmed. "And another dragon, as well. Your father was searching for you, from what I heard."

Visioner shivered so violently that Mink thought he'd fall. The NightWing suddenly winced, clutching his head.

"Oh no," He murmured. "Not now..."

"What?" Mink asked. "What's happening?"

Visioner let out a strangled yelp and collapsed. Mink screamed, and clasped her talon over her mouth as she remembered that Destroyer was nearby. 

"Visioner!" She cried. "Are you okay?"

The NightWing dragonet didn't answer. Mink reached down to ease him back onto his claws, but Visioner's body jerked, making her jump. His talons twitched, and his entire body shook. He was on his back now, trembling and jerking and twitching and shaking everywhere.

"Visioner!" Mink looked down at his frozen face, horrified. 

But there was no reply.