Chapter 5

MINK

Mink wasn't sure why she said that. She hardly knew Brightness, although she knew that Visioner cared about her a lot. And an IceWing and NightWing who were barely four years old wouldn't be able to defeat an evil dragon who also happened to be Visioner's father.

Mink didn't even know her father, who had died during the war, and her mother, Queen Glacier, had died from the magical illness a terrible dragon called Darkstalker had placed on the entire tribe. Her sister was the queen, and her other sister had run off with a MudWing, living in the Sanctuary and raising her dragonets. She hoped that Crystal was happy where she was, although Snowfall had promised that they'd visit her. They had a pretty weird family, but none of them were evil or psychopathic or mean, even though Snowfall was very stubborn and sarcastic.

"You aren't coming," Visioner argued. "I'm going alone."

"Sure," Mink said. "I'll come anyways, because you'll get lonely and I'll be bored. Also, we need to save your sister."

"Alright." Visioner gave in, as he always did. "We'll leave tonight."

"We are?" Mink asked. "I mean, we are," She revised quickly at the anxious look on her friend's face. "What are you waiting for? Let's go."

They made sure that Venom was asleep, and quietly snuck out of the cave. Visioner led the way, his black tail slipping in and out of the shadows. Was it her imagination, or did something twitch in between the fallen rocks? Mink quickened her pace, shivering. Something rustled behind her, and she whirled around, her heart hammering. 

And there, standing quite harmlessly, was Brightness's blind clawmate, Tamarin.

VISIONER

"Visioner!" Mink hissed from behind him. Visioner turned, and saw that she was facing someone right behind herself. 

"Who's that?" Visioner whispered. "Oh- hello, Tamarin. We were just- um, finding something to eat. In the prey center. Yes."

"Liar," Tamarin accused in a low voice. Someone snorted from a nearby cave, and they instantly went silent. Snores sounded, and they all relaxed. "I know where you're going. You're going to rescue Brightness."

"Yes, we are," Mink admitted. "Please don't tell anyone."

"I won't," Tamarin promised, the hint of a smile flickering onto her snout. "Because I'm coming with you."