Chapter 13

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness's anger pumped through her veins as Destroyer kicked Visioner again, and sinking his teeth into his tail. Mink, an IceWing who shared a cave with Visioner, looked on with wide eyes, and Tamarin's scales were red. Brightness winced at the strength of the fury bursting from Anemone. The SeaWing princess glared at Destroyer, and orange hatred sparked off her pale scales like lightning.

"Why don't you leave him alone?" Anemone snapped. "And what are you doing, tying me up like this! I'm Queen Coral's daughter! And Mink is Queen Snowfall's sister!"

Destroyer turned to sneer at her. "What will they do about it?" He jeered. "In a few days, all of you will be dead, like this pathetic, cursed dragonet."

Mink struggled with the ropes around her snout, and she stared at Visioner's still body with tears in her eyes. Destroyer smirked as he noticed her expression, and placed one talon on Visioner's neck, and pressed down hard.

And something in Brightness snapped.

Untie my ropes, Brightness thought. And when the rope around my snout is untied, make me able to speak.

The ropes around her talons unraveled in a second, and the one around her snout fell away, falling to the ground. She stood up. Tamarin, Anemone, and Mink's eyes were on Destroyer and Visioner. 

"Stop that!" Tamarin cried. "Visioner's already dead!"

"Oh, and you'll stop me!" Destroyer let out a bark of laughter. "I'm so terrified!"

"Leave him alone." Destroyer whirled around to face Brightness. The words on her tongue felt strange, but familiar, as if she'd been able to speak her entire life. 

"Leave him alone," Brightness repeated. She gripped the cave floor tightly. "Or I'll kill you."

Destroyer stared at her disbelievingly. At last, he managed to speak. "How will you do that, exactly?" He asked. "Throw pebbles at me?"

Brightness smiled. She scooped up a talonful of pebbles. "Enchant these pebbles to hit Destroyer with the force of a punch," She ordered. The pebbles shot out of her talons instantly, and each one imbedded itself into Destroyer's dark gray scales, and darted back out. The process repeated again and again, and Destroyer let out a howl of pain.

Brightness's eyes landed on a large rock nearby. Make this rock smash into Destroyer's head, Brightness thought. Make him feel the pain he made me feel.

Make him pay for what he's done.